"Glue Cleaning" Your LP's

So here's something I heard about and am getting ready to try: "Glue Cleaning." Apparently if you put a thin film of glue on a record and let it dry for a few hours, the glue bonds to every tiny particle deep in the grooves and you can then peel off the entire glue sheet to remove everything it picked up.

It was recommended to use wood glue or Elmer's glue, spreading it with a foam applicator to keep it evenly distributed. I will of course be trying this only with records marked for "experimentation" (a.k.a. records I hate).

Has anyone heard of this technique? Does anyone have any first-hand experience with it?

-Dusty
128x128heyitsmedusty
How do you know all the glue will come off???

Make sure you try it with your MFSL UHQR first.
I would only try this with an lp you can trash and not care. I personally would stay clear of this technic, and go with the old fashioned lp clearners from vpi.
yes, apparently you're not doing it in a well ventilated area. Haha.

Interesting idea.
Didn't I just see a commercial product that works in a similar in fashion? I would stay away from wood glue, and I would advise you to leave the glue for 8-10 hours, to make sure that it was fully dry. You might want to leave some distilled water on the record after removing your glue disc to see [by touch or even taste] if there was any glue residue left behind. Also, if the glue doesn't come off easily, and in one big "glue LP", I wouldn't feel too good abut the process.

You might be onto something!
Hi there

Yep, this is a method I advoacted a while back and since then it seems to have got around.

I treat all my LPs to this little trick and it works incredibly well, please note however and this seems to have got lost in translation I wash the LPs after the glue is removed, in distilled water/detergent, just warm using a very good quality 1 1/2 inch paint brush. I then rinse in warm distilled water with a very small amount of washaid to stop any drying marks.

I have tried pretty much everything else and this is the best in terms of the final result-period! IMHO

As yet I have had no disasters or problems and I have done well over a 100LPs to date, probably 150.

Even LPs that were well cleaned by other methods end up being way better after this treatment. I use Sellys Aquadhere (internal strenght).