Deep Cleaning Records With Steam?

It has happened again. Major tweak and record provider has available a steam cleaner made especially for records. Anybody try steam for cleaning lp’s? What were your results? Since a unit can be had for about $20 at Target, 15% of what the tweak provider is charging, is it worth a try?.
tiger
Distilled water will not steam properly in many steamers, especially the perfection steamer. Distilled, in my perfection and others, I have read and experienced, shoot more of a stream of water with some steam, than all steam, using R/O water. I say use what ever water you choose.
Friends, As In have outlined before, "the water source one uses has a direct relationship to the results". Some steamers have reported excellent results with scientific "super pure" water products that can be pricey and other threads detail lots of other folks positive experiences.

For my money, I use a water product that has been distilled,R/O'ed,demineralized and deionized ; a battery water product called Peak and sold @ Pep Boys in the USA. I'm sure other similar products abound outside the states only I do not know where they are sold. Many persons email me they have no other source other than distilled , so go figure. I suggest use what you have and always be on the look out for a higher-grade replacement.
Perfection steamer now 14.99 at Walgreens. Bought it yesterday, this is the price on sale at the cash register, no rebate forms or coupons needed.
Charlie, I have found what looks like a good source of ultra-pure water available in Europe - it is a Germany based company - if you would like to follow the link it details the steps to create this water - looks similar to your description of Peak. http://www.feser-one.com/site/product_info.php?cPath=70&products_id=267
The statement that distilled water is better than R/O water is factually wrong. Most of the distilled waters one can purchase contain FAR more minerals than R/O water, particularly the magnesium and calcium carbonates and the sulphate compounds that one is most concerned about (the stuff that makes water "hard" and leaves a deposit). I have measured the hardness and conductivity of commercial distilled water and it is not that good. But, I suppose the question is whether such waters are good enough, not whether they are absolutely pure.

I am willing to bet that any soft water, except those softened by ion exchange where sodium chloride is exchanged for other minerals would be acceptable for these purposes.

By the way, I've tried steaming records clean (I used R/O water I make for fish tanks). This does work, but it is such a BIG hassle it is not worth the effort. Get a decent manual vacuum cleaning machine and be done with it.