Deep Cleaning Records With Steam?

It has happened again. Major tweak and record provider has available a steam cleaner made especially for records. Anybody try steam for cleaning lp’s? What were your results? Since a unit can be had for about $20 at Target, 15% of what the tweak provider is charging, is it worth a try?.
tiger
Perfection steamer now 14.99 at Walgreens. Bought it yesterday, this is the price on sale at the cash register, no rebate forms or coupons needed.
Charlie, I have found what looks like a good source of ultra-pure water available in Europe - it is a Germany based company - if you would like to follow the link it details the steps to create this water - looks similar to your description of Peak. http://www.feser-one.com/site/product_info.php?cPath=70&products_id=267
The statement that distilled water is better than R/O water is factually wrong. Most of the distilled waters one can purchase contain FAR more minerals than R/O water, particularly the magnesium and calcium carbonates and the sulphate compounds that one is most concerned about (the stuff that makes water "hard" and leaves a deposit). I have measured the hardness and conductivity of commercial distilled water and it is not that good. But, I suppose the question is whether such waters are good enough, not whether they are absolutely pure.

I am willing to bet that any soft water, except those softened by ion exchange where sodium chloride is exchanged for other minerals would be acceptable for these purposes.

By the way, I've tried steaming records clean (I used R/O water I make for fish tanks). This does work, but it is such a BIG hassle it is not worth the effort. Get a decent manual vacuum cleaning machine and be done with it.
Larryi, Too much Hassle? Then go to your local pet store that sells tropical fish and buy it for .49 cents per gallon. I have tried many different waters in my perfection and R/O gives the most steam and works best for me. Very, very cheap too. I believe, (My own opinion) that RRL, now Mofi is nothing more than R/O water and nothing else. I tried R/O on my VPI 16.5 without steaming, and the R/O works just as well as RRL, no need for rinsing. One could save lots of money if my hunch is correct. I don't have proof, but someone should have RRL, now Mofi analyzed and find out what in it to be sure.
Thommas,

I think R/O water works fine. I use it to clean my records. I would bet that most other forms of demineralized water would work fine too (distilled, cation/anion exchange that is not based or replacing water hardening minerals with salt).

I just think that the steam cleaning method is a big hassle compared to wet cleaning and vacuuming. I hardly ever find a used record that does not clean up by using such machines, and I never let my own records get terribly dirty. I have the same Nitty Gritty machine for almost twenty years and it does a good job and is easy to use. I don't use the automatic fluid dispensing feature (I apply fluid from a squirt bottle) and I don't even use the rubber wheel to turn the record (I prefer to turn by hand so I can scrub back and forth). Thus, for me, the cheapest machine would be enough. The idea of having to get out a steam cleaner, fill it with water, wait for it to heat up, clean the record, dry the record, empty the steamer, etc. is just too much trouble for regular, every day use.