Magnetization & Demagnetization any conclusions?

Does the furutech improve sound? Does a record have the potential to become magnetized- and how easily??
I am planning on adding magnets to the bottom of my platter and the top of my plinth to take some weight off of the bearing. Then it occured to me, am I going to start introducing a magnetic charge to my records and cartridge?
Anyone have an idea how far is safe for a magnet to be before it starts to influence other materials? At this point I have 4 3/4 between the magnet and the record.
Thanks
pedrillo
Sirspeedy, Except inadvertantly by touching something during handling of the LP in the process of demagnetizing it, I don't see how the demagnetizer per se would affect static electric charge on the LP. Someone else mentioned this previously; the two phenomena are quite different. But then again, I really don't understand how LPs get magnetized in the first place. I will accept on faith however the reports that demag helps.
Sirspeedy,
Thanks for sharing, I like the 2.2 and look forward to getting the phantom some day.
Has anyone measured the magnetism of the record before and after putting it in the machine. Those meters are fairly cheap.
If there really is a random magnetic field in the LP, it will manifest as noise as the magnetic field is moved past the MC cartridge, much like tape hiss as tape moves past a tape head.

However it will be at a much lower level! So if y'all are hearing a reduced background noise after treatment, I would give the magnetic field idea some credence.

The only problem is, static charges will be interpreted by the cartridges as random changes in voltage (IOW, noise) as well! I would expect wood and plastic body cartridges to be more susceptible... Interesting topic. I don't have any sort of instrumentation that I would deem sensitive enough to sort any of this out, so for me it remains an intellectual challenge; apparently one that is audible. Sheesh.
Why not support the arm so that the stylus is just out of contact with the LP. Turn up the volume, and what do you hear? Probably a little noise. Now start the platter. What do you hear? If the noise doesn't change the LP is not magnetized.