best MM cartridge...

the general consensus, it seems, is that MCs are superior.
But suppose you wanted to stay with MM carts, before mpving on to MCs, in your expereince, which would you consider the best all around performer for MM? Does any one
have any experience with the Ortonfon 2M Black?
jlamb
Raul:
It seems most of your excellent suggestions for MM cartridges are vintage and difficult to find. I'd rather spend more time searching for and listenning to vintage vinyl. What current production models would you reccommend?
Let's say <$1000, or better yet, <$500...Something I could order online. The only shop nearby (+50 mi.) carries Rega only!
Dear Jlamb: Please read this link:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1200430667&openflup&84&4#84

the point is: to know where to look for, email me if you want.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
I third the AT150. I was lucky to find a nearly new AT155LC about a year ago and it ranks right up there with the best cartridges I've heard.

I went through a period of buying a LOT of vintage carts and then a LOT of low output MC carts that sell for up to $800.

In the end I kept only two, the AT155LC and the Denon DL103D.

The MC carts that I gave up were the ATOC9MLII, Shelter 501II, and the Benz Micro Glider L2. The Vintage carts were AT15Sa, AT500DR, ADL XLMIII, Grace F9E and others.

I also tried a Denon DL103R and a Rega Exact.

The two I kept were the best by far to my ears.

Good Luck
Try a Dynavector DV20XH - a MC that can be used with a MM phono stage. I use one on my Rega P7 with the phono stage on my Rotel RC-1090 pre.