vintage turntables?

i dont know, but vintage technics, jvc, and pioneer are the only decks ive had experience with, but they have a special appeal to me. it seems to me that theres all these super fancy turntables out there, and im sure they sound really great, but things like funk firm, the pro-ject rpm aren't the same to me. they're not what i picture a turntable to be. anyone else out there feel the same way? i think what it comes down to is the look. maybe i'm just crazy, i dont know. haha
128x128chuckelator
Chuckelator, the Thorens 160 is a belt drive, quite a different animal from the TD 124 rim drive that Art Dudley restored and wrote up. So, visual appearance aside, while many vintage belt drive tables can provide satisfying performance, what a few others and myself are suggesting is the best performance may be found in the Technics SP-10 Mk 2, 15, and 25, the larger and heavier Denons, the Kenwood 500 and 600 series with their composite plinths, perhaps selected Pioneer or JVC models (I'm not familiar with any of them), or a rim drive such as a Lenco. An archive search will turn up lots of information on any of these.

Other quality tables such as the SP-10 Mk3, Kenwood L-07D, Garrard 301 and 401, Thorens 124, EMT, Nakamichi, and some Denons could be outstanding but they all have followings and therefore are more expensive than many of us would consider.
oh, i knew that the 160 was a belt...but it does have an appeal to me for some reason, and yeah, i read about the 124, which also does have its appeal too, but from what ive heard, alot of what you find of them today need alot of work to make them still operate properly.
and also, along with the direct drive turntables im considering, i'm also considering going with a vintage pioneer reciever... (ya know...the whole vintage appeal) i found a pioneer silverface reference site, and found it very interesteing, and these recievers are extremely appealing to me. any thoughts/comments on these (not meaning to change the thread, but i figured while its at the top and people are looking at it, id throw it in there!)
C: Stop ! Consider this: All early receivers require work. Unless you are an expert they will play but never up to the specs -- Its all a matter of age. Don't be cute...It will cost you $$$$$ to restore a unit. Unless you know exactly where to turn for advice.
C: My appology if I gave the appearnce of coming on strong. I my self collect vintage equipment. My first piece was a 1947 Grundig-Majestic type 1088 that suddendlly stopped playing. The first estimate for repair was $800 . Fortunately, I found a vintage repair person that estimated the actual cost @ $60.00. The unit plays perfectly. Presently, Eric is repairing to other units for me and has repaired a 1/2 dozen others. He is located in Baltimore, MD. Should you need his advice, send me a eail and I will gladly forward his firms address and telephone number. All the best.