More evidence that LPS are still alive

This appeared on CNN.com this morning.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/06/10/vinyl.records.ap/index.html

Great news!
tgrisham
In the area of pop, rock, perhaps jazz, vinyl seems to be in demand. In classical, I think not much, and for good reason.
This past weekend I picked up the Carnegie Hall Library of Classical Music (18 boxes with 5 lp's in each box) for $25 at an antique store. These are quality Deutsche Grammophon and Philips pressings from the '70's. Look to never have been played. At another antique store I picked up a dozen excellent quality lp's for a dollar each. Seven of these look to never have been played. At the third antique store I found 2 box sets of Archiv Produktion J.S.Bach sets, still with the obi. The recording dates on one lp is 1961. Looks to never have been played.I can see these finds will become harder and harder to find.
Abucktwoeight- Score! I think that as the older audiophiles have passed on, their children have simply dumped their LPs at these stores since all they know is CDs. That's good for us. There will be a point at which there will be no more old great LPs available. The great news for me is that if the demand continues to grow, so will the availablity of new pressings. The mastering engineers that I read of are horrified at the compression and distortion of the new releases on CD. Let's hope that, like the "Director's Cut" on DVD releases, that we will eventually have the "Recording Engineer's Cut" on LPs. I want to hear the way it sounded to them in the booth when the album was first recorded. A pipe dream maybe, but hey, reality is over-rated anyway, so I'd rather dream.
In addition to response of Neway317, it also means that more jack-asses who are would be record dealers are going to flood the market with more crap as well...let's face it, it's a crap shoot(your everyday sellers) or VERY expensive (reputable dealers) to collect the REAL lp's...AND if you're into searching for hot stampers, well, you just keep your fingers crossed.

To add to Tgrisham's statement, not to be too serious, but vinyl will NEVER be as good as the tape...it's a plain and simple fact...the Tape Project has a good idea, now they just need some musical taste!(I'll never hear the end of that one I have a feeling)...and CD's do have a lot of potential...D/A's keep getting better...but hard disc server type playing is a lot closer to a master sound IF ONLY THE FLAT MASTERS WERE NOT MESSED WITH AND RELEASED AS IS! Digital Audio is capable of reproducing ALL the dynamics, it just gets in the hands of idiots who think that over eq-ing is a remedy to dynamic loss that tape experiences over time...blah blah blah.
I live in the Pacific NW, and yesterday I was out on errands with my 21-yr-old stepson who wanted to get a CD at Fred Meyer. When we got there, lo and behold, there was a shrink-wrapped 2-disc LP of R.E.M.'s "Accelerate" release, leaning up against the music dep't's cash register. The clerk didn't exactly know why it was there, but since it had a price tag and UPC code, I could have bought it.

But after reading the link, now I know how it got there, and I may have to go back and get that one.

Fred Meyer selling vinyl in the Pacific NW is like Mervyn's (in CA) or Target (anywhere) selling vinyl. It can't get much more mainstream.