Optimum TT Height

Would love to hear some views on the optimum height for a turntable. I would guess that the users' height plays a role here. I am 5' 9" or 69" tall, so I am thinking a good workable TT height would be approx. 51". Any ideas?

thx
stickman451
Regular record handling is fine at that height, but standing over a protractor can be panful.

I usually do my setup (sighting in on the protractor) on one knee ... gets my head at the right height with little strain.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier
Dcstep and I have similar set ups. I'm an inch taller and my table is 2" higher.

Concerning ergonomic design, the ease of viewing the record/arm/cartridge without bending over is at least as important to me as record handling. Perhaps that is a function of my aging eyes and back. Years ago my setup placed the platter about 18" high -- never again! Concerning light, I use a Little Lite with an adjustable goose neck which can be made to work for any viewing angle so I don't consider that an issue.

Anyway, my table has been at the 51" height for several years now and I have no need to change it.
I'm on the high side: 56" for the platter, 6'2" for me. I like the height for cart arm adjusting and have no problem with the records. This also helps in sighting whether the clamp has mated the record completely to the platter.
Good advice! I am leaning towards 51" or so... Need to decide so that I can have my MapleShade Samson V.2 cut to the correct height. Thanks!
Stands like the Mapleshade Samson often use standard length threaded rod, as in 48" in this case, which then puts the actual height a couple inches higher with the cones. Add to this the three "P"s of vinyl, platform, plinth, and platter and you end up with your 51+", with no need for custom cutting.