dead quiet

I read this a lot that one's system is dead quiet..Is this at all possible when playing phono? what does it really mean?
ditto
Bdgregory, I had the hum in the speaker between tracks when I listened close to the speaker. It went away when I replaced the Jolida JD9 with a JLTi phonopre.
One thing that can cause hum is other components, especially digital components, even when they are off. I have to disconnect the power supply on my Squeezebox when I play records to avoid a slight hum. I previously had a Sony DVD-9000ES that produced tremendous hum in my phono, though only when on.
Have you tried turning off, or even unplugging, any digital gear, if you have any?
Albert--what table did you go to? as for dead quiet, it is achievable but as others have stated, very difficult to achieve if your system is not already dead quiet. I still have a little hum that is due to the way i have my equipment set up. I have found that phono wires near electric current feeds will cause hum. That is my recent problem. My phono stepup is also part of my issue. I have used a loaner stepup and eliminated my noise issue but just have not invested in this next step. Christmas is coming :)
Has the issue of speaker sensitivity been considered? There is a HUGE difference in background noise, hiss, pink noise, whatever you want to call it, between a speaker that has a sensitvity of say 86db vs 100db....

Even the very best components present some noise when connected to very sensitive speakers...