VPI RCM Vacuum Wand Velvet Strips

Ok Folks, I know VPI doesn't sell these but places like Disc Doctor does. Still not very cost inexpensive if you ask me. And I'm in disagreement with mintlp's Yip's method of replacment, by Gluing on any such strips. Problem is, how do you then get these off when they are shot?

From what I understand, some manufacturer, which I thought it was 3M, who makes this material, but still web-searching has prooved fruitless. I would imagine this same similar material is also used on Mo-FI/Disc Doctor Brush Pads.

Does anyone know of a better, less expensive source for this material? I'm thinking at the right source, $15-$20 worth of this material should be enough to virtually supply everybody on Agon who has a VPI RCM! Mark
markd51
I use 3M 467MP transfer adhesive (tapecase.com) and velvet strips from M&J trimming. Spent a little time cutting and assembling but now have strips for about fifteen cents each. The old stip usually peels off clean and the new one just sticks on. My RCM is DIY with a pvc vacuum tube.
Sonofjim:

That tube of Pattex is contact cement. Any brand of contact cement should work.
Hmm, some interesting responses.
As I've been informed by the highly knowledgeable here, but won't diclose thier name, it appears one is SOL in acquiring the exact same material-peel+stick adhesive as VPI uses.

If a material, such as Mo-Fi Replacement Pads are long enough, (I'll have to check this) I don't think that the Nap being ever so slightly thicker would be that much of a detriment. The Suction of the VPI 16.5 Motor, shoudl be able to such a mustache, and beard off one's face. I've seen similar Eletek Vacuum Motors in Commercial Tornado Floor Scrubbing Machines!

The Venturi effect from Vacuum should be enough to such the LP dry, as well as the Velvet Strips, all at the same time. A better "cushion" between LP, and Wand may be a benefit?

Yip only mentions applying Glue to one surface. Generally contact cements work best when applied to both surfaces.
Mark
Markd51,
Actually Yip does say to put the glue on both surfaces with a Q tip. I have just learned though that he doesn't sell the mint strips alone(only his brush pads). As for the strips, they only come free with each bottle of mint LP cleaning solution. Still, the brushes and pads are cheap and I will probably try them. The brush pads may be long enough to cut into strips. I'm not sure on that one.
I have been using the Mint strips for about a month now and cannot recommend them enough. Over the past six months i have aquired about 20 new old stock sealed direct to disc lps. I have not been able to get them perfectly clean. After playing one side of the lp i found that my stylus had a white powdery build up on it and the highs would suffer greatly after playing a couple tracks. I have tried AIVS single step, AIVS 3 step, VPI cleaning solutions and one other cleaning solution . These were all combined with steam cleaning and i was not able to get rid of the powdery residue. I talked with the very helpful people from AIVS and they suggested soaking the lp for a few hours , this did very little to help.
I now use steam ,vaccuum, MINT cleaning solution ,steam ,vaccuum, AIVS 2nd step,steam,vaccuum, then double rinse of AIVS ultra pure water, vaccuum.
The vaccuum is done with a VPI 16.5 with the Mint strips installed with the slot reduced to 50% of the normal width. Now my lp's are perfectly clean except for the
occasional piece of airborne debris that lands on the lp during playback. I view the stylus through a 30x power microscope after each play and the stylus is perfectly clean. The only change i have made in my procedure is the Mint Strips on the suction tube and my lp's are perfectly clean. One draw back is i now find that due to the higher suction rate if i vaccuum more than one revolution on the final rinse i get a considerable static charge build up on the lp and sometimes have to go back and re rinse and vaccuum to reduce the static build up. I will have to invest in a machine to reduce or eliminate the static build up next.
I am not sure what is causing my lp's to be so clean now, it might be the thinner and finer Mint strips or the narrower slot creating more suction at the lp grooves, but it works great and i replace the Mint strips every half bottle of cleaning solution and i am sure fresh clean strips help too.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Todd