Preference for separate phono stages?

Yes, this is a heavily 'theoretical' topic and has (probably) been discussed here ad nauseum.

So, to get on with it: who feels that a single-chassis line/phono stage is a compromise? Do the advantages of a dedicated power supply mechanical and electromagnetic separation outweigh the disadvantage of another pair of interconnects?
paulfolbrecht
Old AR pre-amps with phono are amazing (ie 6C). However, that is from the true old vinyl days. In the 80's & 90's most phono stages were just an afterthought. The phono stage in a cambridge 640 phono is way better than the internal phono stage on a $3000 sunfire IV pre/pro/tuner.
I do own a Shindo Monbrison - yes. Yes, I know it is possible to make a really excellent one-box line/phono unit, and in a small package at that!

It is, as I said, 'theoretical'. There are too many variables to make apples-to-apples comparisons. (I suppose you could do that if you took the same line/phono design and implemented it both as two-box/two-power-supply and one-box designs.)
the internal phono stage on my entry level Mac 6300 integrated is as good as my Graham Slee Era Gold external.
What about the Aesthetix Janus? I hear good things about it but have no first hand experience. Anybody who does?