SP10 Mk II vs Mk III

A couple of guys here were planning to do listening comparisons of the Technics SP10 Mk II vs the Mk III, in their own homes and systems. Has anyone actually completed such a comparison? I am wondering whether the "upgrade" to the Mk III is actually worth it in terms of audible differences between the two tables. Possibly mounting either table in a well done wooden or slate plinth mitigates any sonic differences that would otherwise be heard. I am thinking of Albert Porter and Mike Lavigne in particular, who were going to do the comparison. Thanks for any response.
lewm
Actually, unless it's a Mk2A, it is at least 30 years old, since date of manufacture. Obviously, I agree with Albert. My Mk2A had been fully serviced by Panasonic/Technics in 1989 and was not used thereafter; it was still in its shipping carton when I bought it. Nevertheless, I did the work noted, or I had it done by a pro. (I serviced the bearing and replaced the caps in the PS myself, then I gave it over to Bill Thalmann, to replace remaining caps in the on-board electronics, check speed, calibrate, etc.)
I will then look into replacing the capacitors in my SP-10 mkII. I am just scared of damaging the unit in one way or another.
I wouldn't worry too much unless you already have a problem with it - just leave it on 24/7 for a while.
Dear Lonestarsouth: +++++ " I for one would not dream of modifying my SP-10 mkII in any way. Got it "new in box" ++++

+++++ " Do you think I should re-cap my SP-10 mkII that is "virtually brand new"? " +++++

this kind of " anger/distress " to change caps and the like in a new SP-10 ( and even in a used unit ) IMHO and with all respect to other SP-10 owners has no real foundation on this specific subject:

+++++ Not a lot of money and you can prevent an old cap going and taking out a hard to find part " ++++, of course that you can do it but there is no sense behind that statement.

I own three of these units and two Denon's ( similar Sp-10 level and with inside caps too!!! ), old units and used for many years and with periods of no use at all.

No one of these units has any single trouble because the caps and not only this but over the years I never read or hear/know that with hundreds or maybe thousands of these top DD units out there any one has/had a cap that " disolve " in the TT damaged other TT electronic parts.

As I told you: you can do it but IMHO and for that subject that is unnecessary.

That " anger/distress " on the subject seems to me something like this:

" I have two days with my new Nissan Altima but I go to change it tomorrow because with it I could have an " accident "? "

Maybe could be better for you try to improve elsewhere your system to achieve a better audio system quality performance: tonearm, cartridge, tonearm set-up, cartridge set-up, tonearm/cartridge matching, tonearm rewiring, phono stage, tonearm cable, etc, etc

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
Never own a SP10mk2A, is this "A" version any better than the regular version spec wise? I know the A version is to take advantage of the advance of IC of its time so the boards are smaller and generate less heat as oppose to all discreet parts. But spec wise, does it offer any improvement or they are essentially the same thing? The question is is the A version an upgrade from the mk2? Any thoughts?

Raul, I think your choice of word of "anger" should be replaced with "anxiety". Don't you think?