No deep bass or highs: VTF or VTA issue?

Background:

I've been using JM Lab Micro Utopia monitors and recently added a sub (via Bryston outboard crossover). Used my music server to dial in the sub (for convenience) and after dialing it in I noticed that my analog rig is not sounding anywhere as good as my digital.

I tried comparing a few LPs to their digital counterparts and in comparison the LPs sounded dark and sluggish.

Relevant equipment:

Analog:
- Dynavector XV-1s
- Scoutmaster / JMW 9 Signature / SDS / Super platter etc
- Aesthetix Rhea Signature with NOS tubes

Digital:
Music server -> Benchmark DAC

I used a Mint tractor to align the cartridge, and the VTF on the XV-1s is around 2.0g. I had never done anything about VTA, so I tried raising it. It got somewhat brighter, but now in comparison it lacks deep bass AND the highs of the digital version. Switching back and forth it's like the vinyl is just midrange (that's an exaggeration to illustrate my point).

I also have a Manley Steelhead phono stage; I should probably swap that with the Rhea to make sure the phono stage isn't the culprit but my gut tells me that it's the setup.

Any advice on what adjustments to try would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
madfloyd
In response to the last couple posts:

- My music server is not lossless (shame on me, I know, but it was established a few years back when hard drive space wasn't as cheap). That being said, it's not overly compressed. My recollection is that CDs sound better - brighter with more air.

- I think the salient issue is 'air'. The integration of a sub hasn't caused this in any way, it just caused me to notice the difference between the two sources as I used the music server to dial it in (not only more convenient, but safer since there are no setup variations to throw it off).

- I'm using Micro Utopia monitors which are much more detailed than my previous speakers (Aerial 9's). In some ways I'm finally hearing the high frequency detail.

- If the air I'm hearing from digital is an artifact: I don't think so; I feel I'm hearing more detail. For example, when playing Deacon Blues (Steely Dan/Aja) the beginning of the song has some gentle taps on cymbals that on my analog rig I hear mostly the transient while on digital I can hear the cymbals shimmering with reverb. I can hear clean rhythm guitar on the choruses clearly on digital and on analog it's more buried.

- I have made sweeping changes, but wasn't trying to dial it in so much as see what types of changes were possible - e.g. could I make it sound TOO bright? I would have expected that raising the VTA would have made things get much brighter, but all it seemed to do was affect the amount of bass. And this is with drastic changes in VTA... leading me to believe that slight changes wouldn't do much at all. I was also trying to follow the Walker approach (raise it until bass drops out, then lower it a bit).
I should add that I have no issue with taking my time to dial the TT in with small changes at a time - but when I go to the extremes and don't hear much of a difference, it isn't overly encouraging.
Here is a link to a white paper that another A'goner referenced several days ago. I think the concepts presented in this paper will help explain why your theory of what large changes show is full of holes. So don't despair yet.

Vacuum State GuruSetup

What you describe as shimmering from your digital source is, as Piedpiper points out, not correct. I've used that term incorrectly myself so I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are talking about. Shimmering implies something is being added and is most likely an artifact. What you want is that strike and long decay from cymbals. I'd be curious to compare your music server to a decent redback cdp.

At the same time I think I understand what you're saying about the cymbals on Deacon Blue's. I'll pull out my copy today and get more familiar with your reference.
Hi Floyd,

Based on what I’ve read from you so far, I’d suggest the following in its entirety as a test:

- Set the tracking force to 1.8 grams (If the cart/arm combo tracks at 1.7, you can try that short term for this test)

- Raise VTA until bass just begins to fall off.

- Set the cartridge loading on the Rhea to its highest setting (47K Ohms?). Also, make sure you are setting that loading for the input you are using on the Rhea since it has three of them.

- Remove all clamps and record mats

Once you have done the following setup above, check to see if you are getting any additional “air” from the cartridge. If you are getting progress and can still track records well, you may be going in the right direction. This test can result in a very bright sound in many setups but we are looking for the “air” and then want to bring things back to normal from that point. Please let me know the results of this test.

If the test above doesn’t show any signs of improvement, the information gained may be pointing to one of the following remaining possibilities outside of cartridge setup/maintenance :

- Your VTF gauge may not be working correctly. BTW, which one are you using?

-The use of NOS tubes in the Rhea is limiting the high frequency reproduction of the phonostage (as well as the low frequencies you noted by using the Steelhead).

-The 9 inch VPI uni-pivot arm may not be able to exert enough control over the XV-1s to reveal the low-level detail and the higher frequencies you are looking for.

-A possible issue with the interconnect between cartridge and phonostage or the Phonostage and the Preamp.

Some general thoughts are that the sound of the digital rig is more inline with your tastes in music playback. As such, you may want to borrow a solid state phonostage that is fairly detailed as a next experiment to see if it produces a more extended top-end that is more in line with your preference. There are probably some tubes you can roll in the Rhea to achieve the same things. The point is to take advantage to being able to borrow a few components before you invest heavily in an unknown solution.

Hope this helps,
Dre
Dan: thanks for the white paper, I'll digest it. When I mentioned 'shimmering', I meant the decay of the cymbals (as they vibrate). I think I know what you mean by digital shimmer; I used the term incorrectly.

Dre: I really appreciate your post. I'm just now switching back to the Manley again and have been wondering about the interconnects. I'm using a Pro-ject gauge (it appears the same as most other digital gauges I've seen - perhaps all made in the same Chinese factory?).

I'll try your suggestions. Btw, what happens when a cartridge 'mistracks'? I assume it would be obvious when it happens, but haven't experienced that yet so I'm curious.

Thanks.
Ian