Dynavector DV 20X-L -- which MM will better it?

Hi,
following some of these MM related threads, which MM will better DV 20X-L performance?

I know this cart and would say, it can have tight punchy bass (arm dependent), but is NOT up to the better LO-MCs in terms of treble resolution, or detailedness. Sounds like MM territory, or is this an insult?

On some German forms about older MMs, I read some very favourable comments about the Shure V15 with MR stylus...
Is that that best recommendation for this system, and would this compare with the 20X-L?

I did run a Shure V15 years ago, but am not sure it had an MR insert --- the rest of my rig was not what it is today :-) ha, ha.

Thanks,
Axel
axelwahl
Dear Axel: I never heard the A&R. Halcro already confirm what was my thought about: that both cartridges are similar but with different quality performance, how different? I can't say it.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Hi Raul,
can you tell me perhaps about the Garrott P77's cantilever material (alu-tube or boron?) and stylus (micro-line, or parabolic, elliptical?) then I'll get some idea.

I had to put a Dorian in my system (for O'scope is measurements, it measures and performs rather well) my PW going back to the factory...
Now it's that 'sound-thing' all over again. I love the detail and resolution B U T something just does not come together --- and with classical I can hear it's sound lacks 'richness', short of calling it anaemic. That is with a 1k loading AND the addition of 10nF to chill-out the treble. It measures very flat and rather nice close to spec though, maybe I must measure an MM some time...

What load capacitors (polystyrene, ceramic, silver-mica) do you recommend for 300pF - 500pF as recommended to be used with a V15?

Have you any idea about Garrott's current 'Optim' with either Shibata or an FGS (Fritz Gyger Special?

Thanks,
Axel
I had a couple of 20XH's but a long time ago. I'd look at SoundSmith for a MM/MI alternative. I don't know that you'll find anything better than the 20X, most likely just different. I think the SoundSmith is different than the 20X in the way you want though. Its more detailed I think based on what I can recall of the general characteristic differences of the 20X and what I'm hearing today. But the gap in time is long and the old system is long gone and was quite different than what I have today.
Dear Axel: I can¿t cay more on the P-77 becuse I don't have its manual.

Here you can read about the new Garrot:
http://www.garrottbrothers.com/opt.html
and here you can ask on it to this cartridge owner:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1243167258&openflup&8&4#8

and here ( page 14 ) you can ask for pf capacitors:
http://www.percyaudio.com/Catalog.pdf

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Thanks Bmckenney,
it's not so much to replace a 20X-L but rather to get a take what MM would better this kind of MC...

I just had in short succession a A&R P-77, then a Lyra Dorian and now a Transfiguration Orpheus in my system --- well, good old Ivor Tiefenbrunn is as right as can right be, by having stated that the SOURCE is THE first thing that matters.
My Burmester 961 now sound like I recall a 3.2.2 Kharma! Quite something and I can just shake my head. Of course my SME-10, SME V arm, 326S, Pass 350.5 will help (at least I hope so!).

Now that Orpheus is of course mega buck territory, but I'm afraid to say that no MM can ever get to that sort of level, correct me if I'm wrong. (It is not my own cart, so sorry...)

Back to the 20X-L. That sort of MC seems just more grainy, I would say, than is a very good MM, YMMV.
Yet it's the same price class, yes? That makes this type of MM a serious contender to a more lower priced MC, and I have a notion I'd pick the MM first. But it need some wake-up call by Raul to open my ears to that.

I mention that Orpheus here, because it showed me what 'reserves' a system can have. That's quite something to hear it for yourself and not just read some review about it.

Thank you for sharing,
Axel