Direct drive/rim drive/idler drive vs. belt drive?

O.K. here is one for all the physics majors and engineers.

Does a high mass platter being belt driven offer the same steady inertia/speed as a direct drive or idler drive?
Is the lack of torque in the belt drive motor compensated for by the high mass platter. Object in motion stays in motion etc. Or are there other factors to take into consideration?
I am considering building up a Garrard 301 or Technics SP10, but is it all nonsense about the advantage of torque.
I am aware that the plinths on these tables can make a huge difference, I've got that covered.
My other options would be SME20 or Basis 2500 of Kuzma Stogi Reference etc.
If I have misstated some technical word, please avert your eyes. I don't want a lecture on semantics, I think everyone knows what I mean.
Thanks in advance.
mrmatt
A belt creep is someone who has a size 54 waist, but still uses a size 34 belt, hung WAY low over the grossly protruding beer belly :-)

Belt slip is when he reaches for something over his head and his pants fall down :-))
Does efficient bearings like Clearaudio Magnetic Bearing bring belt drive/high mass platter design CLOSER to low mass/direct drive design??
Hiho,
y.s:
>> I rather have a better stronger motor to get the dynamic I want than to get it from a high mass platter <<

As you have noted I am with you actually. BUT without (and I said it much earlier) a VERY! good motor controller your wish is not going to be much of an improvement over a high mass platter - maybe quite the opposite!
The same applies to DD tables if not even more so.
Hard drive-line + so, so, controller = incoherent sound.
There are hardly any VERY good motor controllers commercially offered for all I know. So be careful what you wish for.
To my knowledge there is nowhere near close a solution, even with 'upper-class budget' , to replace soft belt and mass platter -- also supported by my mentioning these Audio magazines.
But if you are fine blowing ~ 25k plus, then you might even get a decent controller with a lighter = more dynamic! platter.

Therefore my point = simply - a Reality-Check!

Greetings,

"without a VERY good motor controller your wish is not going to be much of an improvement over a high mass platter - maybe quite the opposite!" - Axelwahl

I should be clear when I said "good motor" I also infer good motor and its associated controller as a system. Good motor system, that is.

My motor for tape driving is the Technics SP-10mk2 which I think is good enough for me.

Nilthepill, To answer your question with my opinion, no. I don't see how a magnetic bearing, which acts in the vertical plane only, can possibly have such a dramatic effect on the drive system, which is mostly operating in the horizontal plane. But your question assumes that low mass/direct drive is inherently superior to belt drive/high mass, which probably is not categorically true. Success of either design philosophy will have a lot to do with execution. I am thinking that, while I personally have begun to favor the low mass platter/direct- or idler- drive turntables based on my listening, this approach is the most difficult and potentially expensive to perfect. Whereas I think it is easier to get "decent" results with a high mass platter/weak motor/low compliance belt. Maybe that explains the predominance of the latter type of turntable in the "high end". I'd love to hear a Grand Prix Monaco myself. I wonder whether the carbon fiber adds a coloration, for one thing.