Glanz moving magnet cartridges

Hi,

I have just acquired an old Glanz G5 moving magnet cartridge. However, I cannot find out any details about this or the Glanz range or, even the company and its history.

Can anyone out there assist me in starting to piece together a full picture?

Any experiences with this or other Glanz's; web links; set up information etc would be warmly received. Surely someone knows something!

Thanks in hope
dgob
Dear Henry, There are mechanical engineering schools with their specific 'design ethic' but my 'picture' of the 'Teutonic appearance' is more connected with cruisers, aircraft carriers, tanks ans similar 'subjects' by the German education of the Japanese engineers.How then the big
Micro tables and the big FR- tonearms become by-products of this 'design ethics' I have no idea.
Hi all,
Managed to find an early Xmas present a few weeks ago - Glanz MFG61.
Purchased from a German gentleman. Please find attached pictures here -
Glanz MFG61
Initial impressions mounted on FR64S running into Theta B Revised tube preamp were big, big midrange, massive soundstage very detailed but a bit slow.
Then tweaked the azimuth and the sound took off like a rocket - very quick.
So far it is early days, but the overall sound is big, alive, big midrange, slightly warm and fat bottom end ( but still in control ) - top end can be a little edgy.
Soundstage is large, instruments have a lot of body, but not bloated. It sounds more like a MC than any MM.
I generally prefer moving coils - I have in my stable Dynavector Nova 13D, Ikeda Kiwame, Fidelity Research FR1mk3F, Denon 103D and my daily runner - Koetsu Black.
This is easily the best MI/MM cartridge I have had other than the Garrott Bros Decca London ( Gold and Maroon ).
Other MM's owned - Grace F9E F9E Ruby ( both pathetic ), Shure V15V ( Vxmr & Vmr ) ( very musical when mounted in ET2 but not hugely resolving ), Garrott P77 ( very vibrant when matched correctly with suitable arm & preamp, rolled off in top end ) and Sumiko Andante ( ok for budget MM ).
I would highly recommend this cartridge if you can find it.
Thanks to Dgob and Vetterone for highlighting this great find.
Congrats Dover! Will Nandric now believe me?

Your description of the MFG 61's sound are very close to what I hear. I have used it in several different modern tonearms but have yet to try with any of my vintage arms.

When I read it sounded slow to you, I was confused but you shortly changed that to "very quick" and then I felt better. Your description of it sounding more like a MC is right on. I also prefer MC carts to MM carts but the '61
is my exception. One of my friends call the '61 "the magic cart". I think he nailed it.
Dover,

Congratulations. I still believe the Glanz cartridges are at the very top table of high end sound. I am still to hear the MFG-61 but expect nothing less than excellence and hope more become available to spread the joy.

Happy listening

As always...