Technics SP-10 Tonearm Pod instead of Plinth/Base

Trawling through the Audiogon forums for information on a suitable Plinth for a Technics SP-10, I came across a post by Raul.
Instead of putting the SP-10 in a plinth, he just put the TT on three feet and then had constructed a separate base that only housed the tonearm. (I haven't seen a pic of this BTW)
Following on from Raul's 'Thinking outside the square' approach, I thought I might be able to buy, or have made, a stand-alone 'pod' or rectangular tonearm plinth that could sit along side the SP-10. Has anyone seen something like this that I could buy 'off-the-shelf'?
The advantage of this is that the tonearm is decoupled from the TT and therefore distanced from any vibrations generated by the TT.
A down side is getting the right geometry for the tonearm in relation to the distance from the spindle; and then keeping the pod in the right spot.
If this is all too hard, I might still go with a plinth. I notice an E-Bay seller in Taiwan is offering a Teak plinth cut for the SP-10. Anyone bought one of those?
All comments welcomed!
dsa
Concrete might be excellent. I recently saw a Kenwood L07D. It's plinth is made in part of a very dense particulate material, much like concrete. (The plinth is further damped by metal and wood layers.) By all accounts, the L07D is VERY quiet, so I assume the plinth "works". But this makes shipping of an L07D a nightmare, because that concrete-like stuff may crumble if it receives a blunt force blow. I would think also it might be difficult to make a precision fit with concrete, because does it not shrink while drying? But in principle, concrete would be an interesting choice and would probably work well. I see that you propose to start with pre-formed slabs of concrete. Can it be "worked" to accept the SP10 without crumbling? Anyway, it's a cheap experiment.
Hi Lewm,
That is interesting info on the L07D. As for my budget concrete plinth- I suppose I would have to make sure that the 'slab' I buy is able to be cut without crumbling. I regularly see workmen cutting driveways and the like with a water protected circular saw arrangement. The tonearm hole would be easy, the space for the SP10 could be tricky.
What about a material like they use in kitchen benchtops? Nice colours too!
You mean Corian? The scuttlebutt on Corian is that it does not sound so good as a plinth. This is only word of mouth information. I think Jean Nantais is one person who tried Corian as did some others with Lenco tts. Don't give up on concrete, IMO. Maybe you can make a mold and cast a piece with a square opening for the SP10 chassis.
Hi Lewm,
No, Corian. I read up on that- it's really some sort of polymer (Ie plastic). I also saw that people had tried it and it made a poor plinth- plastic is very unsuitable.
Think terrazzo. That's a sort of fancy concrete with pieces of marble through it- looks great! Other aggregates might be good too.
Someone has suggested perspex with a layer of another material, like aluminum or wood. Not sure about perspex- reviews of turntables plinthed with the material don't read well.