Are linear tracking arms better than pivoted arms?

My answer to this question is yes. Linear tracking arms trace the record exactly the way it was cut. Pivoted arms generally have two null points across the record and they are the only two points the geometry is correct. All other points on the record have a degree of error with pivoted arms. Linear tracking arms don't need anti-skating like pivoted arms do which is another plus for them.

Linear tracking arms take more skill to set up initially, but I feel they reward the owner with superior sound quality. I have owned and used a variety of pivoted arms over the years, but I feel that my ET-2 is superior sounding to all of them. You can set up a pivoted arm incorrectly and it will still play music. Linear tracking arms pretty much force you to have everything correct or else they will not play. Are they worth the fuss? I think so.
mepearson
Mepearson, not to muddy the waters too much but I spotted a comment from Dertonarm that needs correction: the bearings in the Triplanar as good as you can find. They are custom-built by an aerospace bearing supplier, and are 3 or 4 grades higher in hardness and polish than the bearings found in the SME 5. There is only one manufacturer in the US than can make the bearing and they are the most expensive part of the arm as I understand it.
See - in most every high-end device there are 2 or 3 custom-built/designed and extremely expensive parts that are built by a division of the NASA or at least by a very special secret JAN-company which usually would never manufacture them due to cost reasons.
But as high-end manufacturers would never spare any $ if they can spend it for the better of their customers and the equipment they do grace this world with - they go for this special part.
So much for marketing.
Raul and I are both a bit into tonearm design and as a side-effect into ball-bearings.
In Germany there are a few nice companies in the area of Schweinfurt/Bavaria - not too far away from me.
Ever heard of SKF Kugelfischer, Fichtel & Sachs ?
If you drive a high-performance car (Porsche, Audi, Maybach, Bentley, Rolls-Royce, Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes to name but a few...) you will find them in the critical areas.
This was the heart of precision ball-bearing manufacturing in Germany even 100 years back (and a prime target on the bomb list of the allies during WW 2 - for good reason).
It still is now. Their best miniature sealed ball-bearings (I mean: the very best the german ball-bearing industry has to offer to the public - precision grade AEBC 11) will set you back about US$70-90 each if you buy them in very small quantities. With 100+ the price drops fast and to about 60%.
But of course - these are no match for custom grade ball-bearings for audio applications.
So let me correct my initial comment on the Triplanar's bearings:
it ( the Triplanar ) has of course the one and only best ball-bearings and the bearings used in it are several grades above the best used in any other device on this planet - money no object.
I hope my humble apologies for not getting this right in the first.
So let me correct my initial comment on the Triplanar's bearings:
it ( the Triplanar ) has of course the one and only best ball-bearings and the bearings used in it are several grades above the best used in any other device on this planet - money no object.
I hope my humble apologies for not getting this right in the first.
Dertonarm (Threads | Answers)

:^))).
Interesting stuff Dertonarm. Even though they have very solid reputations, the Kuzma arms are obviously way down the "quality audio" scale. Their Stogi arm utilizes ABEC 5 bearings while the Stogi Reference has ABEC 7. This then is likely just above the quality of playground marbles. 8^)
"See - in most every high-end device there are 2 or 3 custom-built/designed and extremely expensive parts that are built by a division of the NASA or at least by a very special secret JAN-company which usually would never manufacture them due to cost reasons."

Don't forget the magic pixie dust.