Tips for buying used Vinyl needed

I see there is a learning curve to buying used vinyl, can you please offer your wisdom and experience? In my recent attempts at buying used vinyl I have learned not to buy from someone who has stored their collection in the garage, dusty, moldy, and urine smells are gnarly. I am starting to look closer now that I have brought some home from my local shop and noticed imperfections in the vinyl itself, resulting in pops. Finding thirty and forty year old records in good condition is not as easy as I thought it would be.
bigwavedave
Record cleaning machine is a must.

This may sound stupid but ask a the seller if they had a tape deck too. I bought many records from guys who had a tape deck and dubbed the record to tape and rarely played the LP. Most of the records were in almost perfect shape.

Like Mapman said, check the reflection of the grooves in bright light. The ones that have a dark luster are in pretty good condition, while the ones that are worn out will have a greyish look.

Happy hunting!!
Damaged or water wrinkled covers are an indicator the vinyl itself can also be damaged.

First rule of thumb for me when buying used vinyl in a store, is to find a place where there is preferably sunlight, or natural light. I then pullout my LPs of interest in this spot and start one by one critically observing the entire surfaces starting with the outer rim for excessive finger prints and sleeve wear (paper sleeves can really embed paper particles in the grooves here if stored tightly over time with friction applied; sliding a record in an out of a tight storage space). The outer covers will usually exhibit "ring wear" in this case. Then working my way to the dead wax.

I've learned to identify what an "acceptable" scuff looks like (one that makes little to no noise) and what one that will cause distortion looks like (I've scuffed LPs myself at various degrees of intensity to discover the effects it has on play back).

I will not buy an LP that is scratched period. No matter how badly I want it or how long I've waited to find it. This is a tough rule to follow, but one I am firm about after being burned 99% of the time.

I look for luster (the rainbow in the vinyl - natural sunlight helps here). A dull grey LP is less than optimal but if it has no scuffs/scratches (or exceptable scuffs, I'll buy it as most old used vinyl falls in this category.) Even dull grey vinyl can get it's groove (luster) back after a good washing with a good RCM.

I typically wont buy a pre-cleaned LP (these will show luster most times) because I'm particular about the fluids I use and can not vouch for the previous owners choice (did they use an alcohol base clearer (don't like them) and/or methods. Also, knowing the effort to properly clean 1 record, I find it impossible to believe someone selling pre-washed LPs takes the time and effort to properly clean them with good fluids. Look for fluids in the grooves (looks milky white) quick hand washed records are easily identifiable because they exhibit a noticeable "whipping" surface film on the vinyl.

Good luck! Buying and finding used vinyl treasures is a favorite activity of mine in this hobby.
i look at lots of used lps and buy many for 25 cents. i find that some have been only played a few times and are great. the others are terrible so i average out the cost. compared to buying the same music on itunes this is an incredible bargain.
"Buying and finding used vinyl treasures is a favorite activity of mine in this hobby"

Ditto. I listen mostly to music server these days but am always on the lookout for underappreciated nice vinyl treasures in good condition on the cheap!

I love picking up some obscure old muzak title from the golden age of vinyl in near mint condition for $1.00 at the Goodwill store just to hear what that particular recording from years ago sounds like.

It almost always sounds 1000% better and generally most involving on the rig I have today (which I could never afford in my youth) than on any I owned back when vinyl and more limited funds for me was still the norm.
Do business with established vendors and/or sellers who allow returns.

Ignore sellers' visual ratings; they are meaningless except for condition of cover, sleeve, inserts, etc.

IMO