Tips for buying used Vinyl needed

I see there is a learning curve to buying used vinyl, can you please offer your wisdom and experience? In my recent attempts at buying used vinyl I have learned not to buy from someone who has stored their collection in the garage, dusty, moldy, and urine smells are gnarly. I am starting to look closer now that I have brought some home from my local shop and noticed imperfections in the vinyl itself, resulting in pops. Finding thirty and forty year old records in good condition is not as easy as I thought it would be.
bigwavedave
i look at lots of used lps and buy many for 25 cents. i find that some have been only played a few times and are great. the others are terrible so i average out the cost. compared to buying the same music on itunes this is an incredible bargain.
"Buying and finding used vinyl treasures is a favorite activity of mine in this hobby"

Ditto. I listen mostly to music server these days but am always on the lookout for underappreciated nice vinyl treasures in good condition on the cheap!

I love picking up some obscure old muzak title from the golden age of vinyl in near mint condition for $1.00 at the Goodwill store just to hear what that particular recording from years ago sounds like.

It almost always sounds 1000% better and generally most involving on the rig I have today (which I could never afford in my youth) than on any I owned back when vinyl and more limited funds for me was still the norm.
Do business with established vendors and/or sellers who allow returns.

Ignore sellers' visual ratings; they are meaningless except for condition of cover, sleeve, inserts, etc.

IMO
There is a lot of great advice on this thread:

I completely agree with Audiofeil's advice on visual ratings. Even with great sellers, you can get the occasional dud that looks great.

If you are trying to buy more collectible, i.e. expensive records, find a few sellers you trust and establish a good relationship with them. When you get the occasional dud, a good seller will graciously allow a return.

Box sets, especially classical sets, are often rarely played and usually offer great value.

Certain record labels offer consistently great sonics, others not so great. It pays to do a little research before bidding.

Know whether or not you are getting a first pressing (which typically sound better and are more valuable). It pays to recognize the labels, producers, etc.

A good record cleaner is a must.

Good luck. Finding great old records is the one of the most enjoyable parts of the hobby.