A Copernican View of the Turntable System

Once again this site rejects my long posting so I need to post it via this link to my 'Systems' page
HERE
128x128halcro
Dear Halcro: I see.

+++++ " I am claiming that without the precondition of the immovable and isolated tonearm BASE, any tonearm/cartridge combination will be compromised to some degree. " ++++++

well over the time at least five times I claimed the importance and influence of the arm board in a cartridge quality performance. I did not claim exactly what you are doing.

Now, there are some different subjects on your statement and I will try to comment by separate:

++++ will be compromised to some degree. +++++

IMHO from the very first moment that we mount a cartridge in a tonearm headshell exist a compromise between ( at least ) the cartridge body resonance point against the headshell kind of build material that has its own resonances.
From this very first stage all what happen between the cartridge, tonearm and TT is full of compromises including our each one skills to overall cartridge/tonearm set up even room temperature is a " compromise " on cartridge quality performance level.
Certainly the arm board link is an additional compromise with its own trade-offs.

Isolated BASE: well this IMHO is a TT manufacturer responsability where the tonearm manufacturers has to deal with.
In this regard I'm a proposal of stand alone arb board towers for at least all the TT resonances can't transmit through the arm board or if the TT manufacturer prefer the arm board integrated then that will be isolated from the TT it self.
In either way the TT manufacturer has to take care that the arm board be self isolated someway for the UNIT can't be disturbed by this audio link.
As other subjects/factors in audio this arm board base isolation always is desired but till today never achieved.

In the mean time IMHO the best a tonearm manufacturer can do is try to isolate the tonearm it self from the arm board.

Problem with this thread subject is that normally the TT manufacturer is different from the tonearm one and IMHO even if both were the same each manufacturar/designer thinks and fix his priorities in a different way with different targets.

Other aspect on all these is that the cartridge quality performance level on playback is surrounded by a lot of different an important factors where the arm board is only one more. Where can we put on importance level the arm board base subject? , this could be very subjective because we have to rank all the factors that have any influence in the cartridge performance and determine the precise " weight " each factor contribute against cartridge quality performance playback level.

I don't know for sure where you want to arrive with this subject and the only thing I can tell you is that some one has to take care about with more care that the one used too.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
Come on Lewm, Copernicus certainly was no twit. If still bounded in certain ways of thinking - and as such deeply routed in its time and spirit - he was nevertheless a mind able to think past the frontiers of his day.
I will rather give my comment regarding turntable concept in physical form this summer.

Dear Halcro, it didn't worked out really good for Galileo giving his thoughts and comments to the world .....

Cheers,
D.
Dear Thuchan,
Yes, Micro Seiki knew a thing or two about analogue.
Your SX 8000 had it's motor separated from the plinth/platter and, as you say, the very solid arm boards attached rigidly to the plinth.
This is an example of an understandable use of a plinth........not designed to change the sound of the information extracted from the grooves, but to support the platter bearing and tonearms.
Sort of copied by TW Raven among others? :-)