Uni-Protractor Set tonearm alignment

Looks like Dertonarm has put his money where his mouth is and designed the ultimate universal alignment tractor.

Early days, It would be great to hear from someone who has used it and compared to Mint, Feikert etc.

Given its high price, it will need to justify its superiority against all others. It does look in another league compared to those other alignemt devices

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtnrm&1303145487&/Uni-Protractor-Set-tonearm-ali
downunder
Thanks a lot, Dertonarm & Thom Mackris
It seems to me that what one really needs to align the SME V is: (i) some device for measuring the actual effective length once you have mounted the cartridge of your choice (this device needs to be very accurate), (ii) some device to allow you to set exactly the right P2S distance (again, this needs to be very accurate), and (iii) a grid that allows you to check cantilever alignment at one of the Baerwald-IEC null points.
If you have all these, then results should be perfect!!!
Best wishes,
Dear Geoch,

back to the roots:

Here you see a record with a last track
cut absolutely to the limit

here is a very modern LP with much more space & a lot of tracks
different cut, different cutting machines

You see, an Alignment with a Nullpoint which is at the beginning of the record and another one in the middle can't be the best one for the first record....
and here is also the reason for different Geometries in Arm Design.

Listen with ...
Syntax,
I presume you prefer yours stirred and not shaken. Great photos as always.

Robob,
Perhaps you should start a specific thread about the different SME arms or do a search in the archives. There is lots of information regarding these arms. You could also email Sumiko, the US importer.
Dear Robob, I haven't worked with the SME 309 yet, but his headshell features single mounting holes and hardly any option to alter overhang and/or offset. As such it shares the very same "camp" with it's big brother the "V".
The SME V does feature - as Geoch pointed out - better ball bearings and is a dynamically balanced design ( which - at least IMHO - is an important feature in a pivot tonearm trying to set the state of the art ).
The SME V is - among it's brothers and offsprings - still the best tonearm. Due to superior attention to detail and better parts incorporated.
The other SME tonearms are "trickling-down-products" from the SME V.
Cheers,
D.