Whest P.30R, P.30RDT and P.30RDT SE

Hi guys,
Anybody had any experience on the Whest phonostages? The different levels are priced quite far apart. How different are they? Any other recommendations on solid state stages?
sirotseta
Do a search as there are several threads here comparing these models. I owned a PS.30R at one point but decided to go with a tubed unit (Herron VTPH-2) after hearing what a very good, low noise tube phonostage could do in my system.
@Dodgealum
Thanks!
Didn't realized it's a widely owned unit!

Except for the Herron, any other unit that you think best it?
I had many phono stages through my system.

The search simply stopped once the .30RDT arrived. It has great sound staging, is silent and has a firm solid state signature to sounds rather than a warmer less focused valve one.

Thanks

Cyclopse
The Whest was my first foray into a stand alone phonostage. I previously used integrated amps or preamps with built in phonostages (like the ARC SP-16). So, I cannot say that I have had wide experience in this area beyond the Whest and the Herron. I liked the Whest very much and found it easy to use and reliable. I contemplated moving up the range to the RDT or even RDT SE but decided on the Herron VTPH-2. I had made several system changes that moved toward greater neutrality and wanted to preserve a touch of tube spaciousness and warmth that the Whest did not impart. (The Herron provides JUST a touch of warmth being quite neutral but did have significantly greater spaciousness and separation of instruments than the Whest). The Herron is also VERY quiet, unlike some tube phonostages--nearly as quiet as the dead silent Whest. Finally, I really felt that the pricing of the Whest units had migrated upwards to the point where I suspected they did not represent a good value for money. I say "suspected" because I was never able to actually hear the RDT or RDT SE but was simply scared off by the price compared to the Herron, which significantly outperformed the PS.30R in my system. In any case, I think you would do well to demo the Whest models and the Herron and see which you prefer. These are all fine phonostages that I suspect are at or near the top of their class.
I've now had all of them over the years and compared them to many many others. I'm now on the BIG MC REF V MK4 which is quite amazing but not part of this thread.

Depending on your system and funds I would go for straight for the PS.30RDT Special Edition which I still use in my second system. It is far better than anything I have had in my system. I have had in my system the ARC PH7, Boulder 1008 and 2008, Manley Steelhead, ASR Basis Exclusive and a couple of others which really don't feature in the game and should not be on the market.

If what you are looking for is musicality and accuracy then the Whest range is for you. They are musical, ultra quiet, detailed, transparent with a super stable soundstage and minimalistic. They will tell you what is on your vinyl system. The Special Edition is more like the MC REF V MK4 in that it is more 'holographic' and 'large' with dynamics that a tube phonostage can only hint at. I have always found tube phono stages 'soft' in dynamic terms although some are better than others - granted.

I don't think you'll better these solid state stages. The PS.30R is great and very well known out there. The PS.30RDT is even better with better separation, detail, soundstage and musicality. The Special Edition is a VERY big jump up the ladder and worth 3-4 times its price - easily.

Try and compare any of them to anything else. No BS there, just straight common-sense design.