higher end jazz vinyl: where to turn?

I'm a lifelong jazz listener but only new to entry-level hifi, as presently marketed--by which I mean Rega p3-24 turntable, Linn Classik amp, Vienna Acoutics Mozart Grand Speakers, and a lot of heart.

Anyway I have a choice set of old ECM records, Miles Davis records, and so forth, that I bought in the early 1980s. Most of them have some noise and crackle now and again--which I largely discount as the distinguished marks of age and memory. Nonetheless a clean sweet classic jazz LP played at substantial volume, even through a low midfi system like mine, is a beautiful thing. Beauty is a rare thing, I read somewhere. And it makes me wonder about upgrading the vinyl.

So here are questions:
1. Are these $50 classic content and such rereleases of Blue Notes really so good? Including worth the effort of getting up and turning the 45 over in middle of a strong Coltrane solo-a double indignity, to a genius and to the lazy.

2. What to say of all these 180g and 200g re-releases at higher prices versus the $10-20 unopened recent copy meant for mass market (or as massy as the jazz list allowed/allows)?

3. I'm using Disc Doctor record cleaners on my old and newer vinyl, but wonder how great the different is to move to a machine, say vpi 165?

4. I'm just a poor righteous teacher so I'm a bargain hunter: an Inexpensive Audiophile down with the feel of the Expensive Winos aestheticist mentality.

5. Thanks!
paanders
Thanks for responses, folks! Lots of good food for thought here. And I can afford to do research.

I am really struck by the general enthusiasm for record vacuum cleaners like the vpi 16.5, but I'm curious if there's a useful mid-point between those big machines and my non-mechanical method with the disc doctor cleaner and brushes, very soft towels, and tlc. And, of course, there's nowhere to 'test-drive' these units near me (in Ann Arbor Michigan: home of great Encore Records), so far as I know.

On the issue of identifying the better (even the best) pressings of ECM: are there easy markers for this on the jacket or LP? I find myself buying these on ebay and all I have to go on are distant pictures of cover (for condition) and a claim about vg, nm, and m.

On the issue of 180g reissues: I feel kind of burned, as I bought an Impulse 180g Coltrane BALLADS last week and it was, um, not a truly flat record. It plays fine, but there is an up and down wave to the motion. (Hypnotic in the right state, perhaps.) I contacted the seller and they haven't written back (perhaps because I didn't demand a refund, which they probably would have given). Moreover, there were a few crackles and pops on this brand new album! Right out of the gate you must color me cautious about guaranteed quality of 180g or 200g reissues. Then I find the $40-50 versions from some sellers (twice the price of general 180g vinyl) and wonder what that mark-up signifies regarding quality.
To answer your question (from someone who has cleaned thousands of records) "We could all wish it wasn't so, but there is no substitute for a good RCM".
Paanders,
I have six different 180 grams Impulse reissues of Coltrane's stuff, including "Ballads" and they are ALL are warped. I personally think it's disgusting. If I didn't have a ring, I wouldn't even dare play them with my Delos it's so bad. I keep buying them because they are relatively cheap under $20 and the music is out of this world. However, if you're looking for quality, look elsewhere. Speakers Corner's and Analogue Productions' releases are superb in my experience. MoFi stuff is not bad either, but not as good as the two mentioned, and their jazz catalog is rather limited. If you like Art Pepper, "The Way It Was" is more than worth the $30 sticker price.
Paanders,

There's a world of difference between manual cleaning and a vacuum system. The problem about a manual clean is that you loosen up all the crud in the grooves, wipe it round and then just leave it to dry out again into the grooves! If you're serious about vinyl, a RCM is THE best investment AND upgrade you can ever make.

Charlie
I began buying the expensive re-issues but found that several stores in my area are almost giving away original jazz pressings. I've bought several unopened jazz records including blue note for $3.99 and hundreds of NM LP's for $1.00. Search craigslist too. At these prices getting an occasional bad copy isn't a big deal.