The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker
Definitive Technology BP8. I was 14years old wondering around a department store while my mother shopped, when i came upon these odd black cylinder Idols on displaced. I asked the salesman what were those strange things used for? He said they were speakers and would I like to hear them? I shrugged my shoulders and said ok, what did I have to loose. When he turned the music on, i was amazed and shocked! The speakers seemed to cast the music into space around themselves. They were effortless, commanding and before i knew it an hour had passed but the seed was planted! I was hooked! And that is why I will always have love definitive technology, they popped my cherry!..
Redmor, it's funny how that works isn't it? We all have similar stories. Mine were Klipshorns with Phase Linear amps as well as Crown amps. I think the turntable was top of the line Garrard (in 72/3). I was blown away and said that when I can buy the Klipshorns I'll go that route. When the time came to upgrade, I ended pu with the Polk 10's (when Sandy was there) with Moscode/CJ amplification. Looking back, it all sucked, but it was MINE and I felt that I was learning. I heard the original Vandy 2's at Sound Unlimited in SD where I was stationed. They became my dealer when I was there and had money. I met Richard Vandersteen while there as he was down just showing the speakers off with Sota TT. I don't remember the amplification, but it was tubed gear I think. I think it was all Kimber Kable (the brown and black stuff that I also ended up getting with my new amplification.

I was at Singer's in NYC many times along with other NYC stores and have heard the TOL Wilson's (actually at many stores around the country). I just have never been impressed. Too analytical for me. It's interesting as we all have different ears but think that what we like is best for all. Not so and that's why there are so many choices.
I was 17 years old and wandered into the local Audio Associates in Bethesda, MD. The salesman was quite kind to this scruffy kid and allowed me to demo the JBL L-65 Jubals - WOW, WOW, WOW - "Angel trumpets and devil trombones" to quote my favorite droogie!! I was absolutely smitten. I *had* to have them.

And about a year later, having worked hard and diligently saving my nickels and dimes, they were mine!! Woo-effin'hoo, I now had a little slice of heaven right here on terra firma - I owned and loved those speakers for the next 10 years!

I had a similar experience many years on when I was privileged to hear the Gallo Reference 3s at Dave Pogue's beautiful home. Man, those speakers *really* did it for me. And Dave's rig was very carefully assembled over many years, the man really knows his stuff!

So, once again, I set about saving my money until 8 months had passed and I was able to find a 3 month old pair for 1/2 of retail. I could not get the wallet out of my back pocket fast enough !

I am still digging those speakers after 4 years has passed - I'll probably be buried with them beside me...

-RW-
Back in the 70’s I auditioned the Beveridge, It sounded like the orchestra was inside those speakers beating their way to get out. Too bad I could not afford them at that time. Of the many speakers I have owned the best sounding were my Acoustat 2+2’s. Set up right with good amp’s they disappear. The sound stage and imaging was so good that you could feel the presents of the vocalist and you could follow them even when they slightly turned their head.
Mickey Katz was the first and the absolute pioneer of using cat hair for cabinet damping; the results were amazing with much more open detail than synthetic fibres or wool. The cat hair was collected washed 3 time in a lime based soap and then ratted into pillowy balls.

Yes, they sounded fantastic