Boron Cantilever and Ruby Cantilever, Why Ruby?

I have noticed that many of the better cartridges use Boron cantilevers. I know that Soundsmith uses a Ruby cantilever. I was thinkin of having my Benz Wood Body cartridge retipped but was not sure if the different material used for the cantilever will impact compliance and even sound. Why not boron like the original?
tzh21y
Dear Tzh21y:Compliance is more a cartridge suspension function that cantilever build material, what is true is that different cantilever build material change the cartridge signature sound and not necessary for better sound but different one.

Your cartridge was voiced with that kind of cantilever build material if you change it then you will have a diferent cartridge sound maybe not better but diferent. Obviously the stylus will be changed too and here things have a similar behavior: different stylus shape different sound and tracking cartridge habilities.

Btw, Elizabeth the cantilever build material that is very well know for be toxic is berillyum not boron.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Raul is correct about Be. But nearly all heavy metals are toxic, if enough of any one of them enters one's system. Some, like Be, more than others, like boron, of course. I was originally just jesting as regards the tiny size of a cantilever in relation to the potential for actual toxicity.

And I agree with Raul on the qualitative effects of changing the material structure of the cantilever, although I would not claim that I can listen to a cartridge and tell you whether it has a Boron or a Ruby cantilever.
Sorry about my error. I just remembered one of the reasons Shure discontinued the V15 was the toxic material in the catilever...
Tzh21y, If you just need a retip and have not broken your cantilever then Soundsmith can replace the stylus only. It cost more because it is more difficult to do. I believe it is $450. Probably still cheaper than a trade in though.
Non-audio curiosity: I know that Berylium is toxic,
but I've not heard that Boron is toxic.
No arguement, just curious.