Why does your turntable sound the way it does.

Ok, we all seem to agree that turntables sound different, and there are any number of upgrades to a basic turntable that are offered, up to and over $100k. But what is it that causes a turntable to sound the way it does. After all, isnt the basic principal that the table causes the groove undulations to pass by the stylus at a certain speed, thereby creating the sound we hear. If that's true, then only something that affects that point of interaction should have an effect on sound. Forget of course, differences in cartridge, tonearm, wire or preamp. Just think of the turntable itself.
Now, we hear that idler drives are more impactful than belt drives, belt drives are quieter and release more inner detail, direct drives maintain speed and tempo better, aluminum platters sound different than acrylic or glass or MDF. Platter mats can change the sound considerably. different bearing materials and precision in manufacture can change the sound. but why?
Is there a basic sound to be acheived when everything is perfect, and what we are hearing is actually a distortion of that sound based on resonance or time or torque or vibration or whatever. Is there a means of measuring what a cartridge can do in a perfectly set up system where there is no influence on the stylus/vinyl interface and the cartridge is free to follow the groove undulations without exterior influence. Is this perfect environment found in the cutting head, or is it also subject to the same influences as the playback stylus. And if so, how can we ever account for that effect in our playback systems.

So, fellow Audiogoners, what do you think has the greatest effect on vinyl playback as far as only the turntable itself, and what do you think can be done to ammeliorate those effects.
manitunc
Manitunc: Makes no sense to me ask for differences between the analog R2R master tapes to compare with the LP version and makes no sense to me because are two way different sources with almost no relationship in between.

In the R2R the signal is " free " of the de-emphasis RIAA eq and does not have neither the inverse RIAA eq.. Both equalization process makes a huge signal degradation.

IMHO the answer or answers that you are looking for are not on that " land " but on the TT it self.

Now, IMHO if some one could have the " perfect " answer to you I think that that person could have in his hands a gold mine and I don't think he can even think on share with you only because you ask it and want to build a TT.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Raul, Might you not like the strain gauge cartridges, if you believe RIAA is a major culprit in signal degradation? I understand that you did not care for the SoundSmith one, because it was inaccurate as to frequency balance, but I know guys who are listening to some of the vintage strain gauge cartridges and liking them very much, e.g., the Technics and the Euphonics, not to mention Win.

As to this topic, the answer will be different for each and every turntable. Thus I find the question hopeless. Can you re-phrase it? It would be better not to get into yet another debate about the relative merits of belt-, direct-, and idler-drive, but I fear it is inevitable. Next comes plinths or no plinth. There's a whole other thread for that religion. Only Syntax has the key.
Dear Lewm: All the other strain gauge cartridges conforms with the RIAA eq.,are connected through any phono stage and the SS does not because does not conforms according to the RIAA and has its own electronics ( line stage. ).

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
CTO517,
I would expect the 15ips tape to sound much better, but I dont have the ability or tape to compare. As for looking under the hood, I have about 10 turntable projects going right now, from idlers to direct to belt to magnetic platt