Which tonearm for vintage Micro Seiki BL-91

I have "upgraded" from a vintage Micro Seiki BL-51 to a vintage (again)BL-91 (checked by the local Hi-Fi shop). Unlike the BL-51 that came with a hard wired original tonearm this BL-91 comes without any tonearm.
Could someone recomend me a good tonearm for this turntable. I'm wondering if modern tonearms like the Kuzma 4 point ( have an offer for a second hand one), SME V (or IV-VI), Schick Tonearm, or TriPlanar would be a good match or should I rather go to the older ( and less expensive) designs like the Saec 407/23, Micro Seiki MA-505 Fidelity research FR-64S).
I have a Miyajima Shilabe that I bougth second hand here on Audiogon. Sounds very "organic" meaty full bodied and that is what I like.
Does someone have experience in using recent desings on older turntables?
Thanks in advance
Enjoy the music this weekend
Tony
128x128tgaral
The MA-505 should provide a very good level of performance. I was very please with mine (on a modified TNT) before I switched to a VPI JMW-12 (on an Aries 1 extended).
thanks for your response I read somewhere that the MA-505 would have a slightly more narrow soundstage than its competitors of that period? what was your experience with it and how does teh VPI JMW-12 compare to the Micro Seiki.
I have to agree with Bpoletti, the MA-505 is probably the best overall match for this deck; the MkII for "standard" cartridges or the MkIII version if you want to use a high compliance cartridge. The BL-91 is a little resonant, so IMO a dynamically balanced tonearm will work better than a static arm. Also, in order to mount a VPI arm you are going to have to drill a blank mounting plate. The geometry of the deck will limit you to a 10" or (possibly) a 10.5" arm.

I have setup many MA-505s, and if you take care to match the right cartridge and take a little time to set up the arm properly these tonearms can really sing. I have had very good luck with either the Benz Ace and Glider LOMC carts with the MA-505 MkII, but there are several other cartridges that will work well with this arm.
The 505 is a very good arm. IMO, a bit dark, but very warm, damp and lush. In comparison to a Jelco SA-750D that I had also mounted on the same table, the 505 pretty much beat it in every category I can recall. And the 750D is no slouch arm. Carts were an AT OC9 and a Lyra Clavis da Capo. The CdC sounded pretty well-balanced in the 505 where it is bright (sometimes laser in the eyeball bright) in other arms.

BTW, the 505 I used (and still have) is a Mk II. Some might feel that it is a bit "gadgety" but it is very functional. Also has on-the-fly VTA over a pretty wide range. Very handy.

Comparing the 505 to the JMW-12 isn't quite fair in this case. The JMW-12 was mounted on a table (Aries 1 extended) that was quite a bit better than the TNT table. And further, the JMW-12 would never be a good fit, physically, on a BL-91. It's just plain too big, too long from arm pivot to platter spindle.

Email me off-line if you care to discuss the details of the 505 or get serious about looking around for one.