To those with multiple tables/arms/cartridges

How do you 'play' your system?
For 30 years I had only one turntable, one arm and one cartridge......and it never entered my mind that there was an alternative?
After upgrading my turntable nearly 5 years ago to a Raven AC-3 which allowed easy mounting of up to four tonearms......I decided to add two arms.
RAVEN
A few years later I became interested in Direct Drive turntables and purchased a vintage 30 year old Victor/JVC TT-81 followed shortly after by the top-of-the-line TT-101 and I designed and had cast 3 solid bronze armpods which I had lacquered in gloss black.
TT-101
By this time I had over 30 cartridges (both LOMCs and MMs) all mounted in their own headshells for easy interchange.
STORAGE

Every day I listen to vinyl for 3-4 hours and might play with one cartridge on one arm on one table for this whole day or even two or three days.
I then might decide to change to a different arm and cartridge on a the same table or perhaps the other.....and listen to the last side I had just heard on the previous play.
I am invariably thrilled and excited by the small differences in presentation I am able to hear....and I perhaps listen to this combination for the next few days before again lusting after a particular arm or cartridge change?

Is this the way most of you with multiple cartridges/arms listen?......or are there other intentions involved?
128x128halcro
Dear Henry, I didn't yet, which is why you haven't yet. No excuses for me.
I view my multiple tables, tonearms, cartridges like Kurosowa viewed reality in Rashamon: a matter of perspective, each one compelling on its own terms. Part of the fun is working with the various combinations until they realize their own coherency, they're own flawed perfection, their own best character. Then they speak on their own terms and I'm convinced by their narratives.
So beautifully put Wrm57.
I think the mistake is to believe that there is one 'right' presentation to audio?
As Suteetat so aptly points out........there is no one 'right' presentation to 'live' music?

I would like the ability to switch in a valve preamp and/or amp to replace the solid state ones in my system from time to time?
I would like the ability to move in some electrostatic speakers or horns from time to time to replace my dynamic ones?
But these substitutions are rather impractical for me and many others I presume?
The differences in 'presentation' these substitutions make on the same source material.......lead to an enlightenment or deeper appreciation of the possibilities in this wonderful hobby of ours.

With but one cartridge and tonearm......we must accept the benefits and beauty but at the same time....the limitations and deficiencies.
Much as we do with our wives or partners :-)

A collection of cartridges may be somewhat analogous to keeping a harem?
Dear Nikola,
Of course you are right.
Of the 30+ cartridges I own......my 'favourites' rise to the top and there is little play time for those 'lesser' samples.
So....like you.....I will sell off eventually, many of those which add little to my appreciation of my vinyl collection.
That will still leave me with over a dozen or so wonderful, wonderful cartridges.
And think of the extended life given to the styli when their playtimes are evenly distributed? :-)
Greetings Professor (Timeltel),
Who would be so bold as to state the reproduction of recorded music in the home is exclusively a scientific demonstration, or that it is solely an expression of art?
Not I :-)