Skeletal vs Plinth style turntables

I am pondering a new plinth design and am considering the virtues of making a skeletal or closed plinth design. The motor unit is direct drive. I know that as a direct drive it inherently has very low vibration as opposed to an idler deck (please do not outcry Garrard and Lenco onwners coz I have one of those too) but simple facts are facts belt drive motors spin at 250rpm, Lencos around 1500 rpm, DD 33 or 45 rpm. That being the case that must surely be a factor in this issue. What are your thoughts. BTW I like closed designs as they prevent the gathering of dust.
parrotbee
Richardkrebs,
The Timeline works by detecting stylus drag which is caused by friction.
To make an armpod move via the stylus/tonearm it must be solely by the friction (stylus drag) which is your hypothesis....
You need to understand and appreciate things like the mass, density and the inertia of the tonearm pod. Then you need to understand the disposition of the centre of gravity of such an item and the shear stresses which need to be transferred through the cartridge/tonearm to the fixing plate to then be converted to a bending-moment force sufficient to overturn such a mass about its centre of gravity.
Before any of that occurs....the frictional forces of the stylus in the record groove will have ground the record to a halt...and possibly into the dust...
But common sense will make this obvious to even lay folk....
Halcro
Yes I get the arm pod high mass and footprint thing.

Again
How does passing the time line test prove that the arm pod is NOT moving.

Cheers
Halcro
Let's say, just for fun, we replaced one of your very nicely designed arm pods with a block of foam rubber and we mounted the arm on it.
The foam is just stiff enough to carry the weight of the arm.

On your TT...
This set up will play music
It will pass the timeline test.
Are you saying that this pod will not move?😊

Cheers
Audiogon log - Feb 11 - about 9:30 am EST. Time has clearly moved I have been transported to the next day - but its the same cold dreary looking winter day. As I sit down with my morning JAVA instead of logging onto to Banks lifeline to see if money still exists to pay the pile of bills that are in front of me, I am compelled to log on here to see if time really has moved on. There, a phenomena has occurred - I have been transported back in time to the Copernican thread.

I am feeling like Bill Murray in Ground Hog day

But wait. It is a little different this time. Some of the people are still the same,; but some are different. And there is a difference this time. Yes, its there. A sense of humor among the players. There is hope.

Base on this glimmer of hope instead of stepping away and going about by business I am compelled to add more to the madness.

*******************************************************************************************

Halcro/Richard et al

Well everything is indeed moving around me yet I am grounded to the earth, and even though It appears to be still, giving me a sense of calm, there are signs of movement all around. Sun position in the sky and its physical effect on my body temp. So this is real indeed.

Back to the fascinating turntable which we must now break into its main parts to make my point. Firstly I don't own a Timeline and never will because its information is only measuring one aspect of record play - some info on the table speed itself. It is not providing data on how the stylus is moving/vibratiing. It is not providing data on tonearm movement (up and down, left and right as it tracks the record) Am I wrong ?

Now Richard that was an interesting post you made.

Way back in high school we were tasked with this question..
What happens when you throw a snooker ball such that it hits the front of an oncoming train. The answer is that the train slows, and with relative weights and speeds, we were able to calculated how much.

Looks like you are comparing linear speed versus rotational speed of a record player.

Based on this formula linear versus rotational speed calculator lifted from the internet, are you able to do your calculation and tell us what the movement really is ? I was always terrible at formula in school.

Here is a crazy thought...

could this movement you are referring to, be temporary (out of shape movement) like when vinyl heats up when played, and they it cools down and goes back to form ? Hmmmm..... What do you think ? How else to explain that an armpod after extended time and play still rests on the same spot ?

back to those bills soon.

Just one more question. I will ask Richard but welcome comments from everyone.

The record for sake of argument spins at constant speed 33.3 - 45 rpm. this means its outside speeds are faster, with bigger grooves to track. The inside ones, slower speeds, smaller tighter grooves, more difficult to track. My pivot arms have all made this clear to me - audibly.

A CD solves this by varying its speed as it plays. The music starts on the inside groove and goes out. on the inside a CD can spin 200 rpm and as quick as 500 rpm as the laser beam approaches the outside edge. I can't measure this and take the experts word on it.

Getting to the question.

Richard, back more than two years ago now, your friend Dover presented what he called a POSER on the ET2 thread.
I ask you how measurable is this movement you allude to; and can its effect on the music be considered the same as what follows.

Maybe ....the human ear can't detect it - which would mean for this "audio hobby" it is irrelevant ?

Help, my Pivot Arm is Running too Fast

08-13-12: Dover
Ct0517 - I would not run an ET downhill, but I get the overhang argument.

NOW HERE IS ANOTHER POSER to ponder :

With a pivoted arm we have an overhang. The pivot arm/stylus tip moves in an arc, which means that for every 1.8 seconds ( 1 rotation ) the stylus tip has actually moved slightly forward with each rotation.
Put another way if you put the stylus tip in the first groove, and draw a tangent to the spindle centre, then with each rotation the stylus tip will move further ahead from that tangent.

This means that to achieve the correct playback speed, with a pivoted arm, then the TT needs to speed up with each rotation.

This means that the only playback system that is accurate in terms of speed is in fact a linear tracker.

Now...thoughts...
Dover (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

OPINIONS welcome ?