cartridge demagnetization

Are there any telltale signs that your phono cartridge [especially MC] needs to be demagnetized, or is this just a preventative maintenance issue?
boofer
Shorting the MC outputs to GND as recommended by J.Carr (as demonstrated on YouTube) would yield the strongest current i.e. maximising magnetic flux, which is proportional to current.
This would produce the strongest and most "coercive" effect while keeping current at a sensible level which the coils can withstand.
That current would also be "normalised" (no DC offsets caused by connecting biased circuitry).

I know some folk are sceptical about the methodology but it seems reasonable that if the MC can magnetise the coil cores to a slight degree then it is just as capable of reversing the effect. How long and how often to achieve that result is the only remaining question. Since we are working ostensibly within the limits of the cart's operation, there seems little reason for A.J VdH to be concerned about damaging long-term effects(?)

Combining that method with e.g. the Cardas demag signal might be the ultimate "safe" deflux? It also might prove to be a fractionally quicker process than just using the shorted MC method with a normal LP?

I've not tried either method BTW but plan to test at least one of them.
In my beginning of my audiophile career, you know, young, no money but enthusiastic and hungry for every tweak which was able to lift my system to a higher lever without investment in serious electronics...to make a long story short...I grilled the coils from my Lyra, my Dealer smiled and sold me another one. Super.
In all the following years I never used the Demag grill again and guess what...I never even thought about it until I read this thread. I can live very well without that but others may think different. My first question to a cartridge seller always was "Did you demag it with a battery unit" and when he said "yes", I stopped any further discussion at once. One of my golden rules ...
I should mention for the benefit of anyone who's just tuned in to the demag argument that Lyra carts such as the Delos use a paramagnetic grade of iron for the coil formers, i.e. will "conduct" magnetism but resist storing it, so residual magnetism should be minimal anyway?

Exactly how much effect any small degree of permanent magnetism will have on Lyra carts and certain other makes of MC is a matter of debate.

I'm sure JC will correct any misinterpretations that I'm guilty of.
Lyra carts such as the Delos use a paramagnetic grade of iron for the coil formers, i.e. will "conduct" magnetism but resist storing it, so residual magnetism should be minimal anyway?

I think you mean "soft magnetic" instead of paramagnetic.

dave
Thanks for the constructive comment, Intactaudio.
I was looking for a word that described the properties of "soft" material but turns out paramagnetic wasn't it ;^)
Cheers,