How important is a good rack?

I have a really nice turntable and some good equipment overall.

I have it sitting in a Michael Green just a rack., It's the entry level with the thinner shelves. I noticed it's not super sturdy if I bump into it it tends to wobble. If I am playing a record it skips. I have an older AR suspension turntable and I can walk all around the rack and it doesn't. I guess what I'm wondering does a rack need to be rigid?

Some rack suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Scott
52tiger
I found the difference to be night and day. I had now idea how bad my first two racks were until I tried a better one. No turntable here, but the difference had nothing to do with rigidity of the frame. The worse one was more rigid. The better one did not improve with more bracing. Again turntable may be very different.
I bought a fairly tall Salamander Archtype 5 self rack (I don't like bending over to change a record). My turntable is ridged and sits on the top self with a iso platform underneath. This is a awesome entry level audio rack. It does not skip at all when its playing a record ( I could run a jackhammer next to it). There are way more solid and expensive racks but for the money ($250 std blk finish $400 cherry wood finish) it is worth checking out, for excellent isolation of each infinite adjustable self (Mega spikes are a must for the bottom).
So Mapman what your saying is if your turntable is on the top shelf the closer it is to the ground helps with vibration?
I prefer woman with good 'rack'. Normally athletic woman have very good 'rack' and good ability to get and give pleasure to the partner.
Scott,

I went the Salamander Synergy route. While it's sturdy and provides good rigidity, some may not classify it as an "audiophile" rack. I liked it's modular design and removable shelves, allowing me to experiment with different shelving materials for each component. I can also adjust the height of the shelves relative to shelf thickness and component height. And since the bottom has threaded inserts for feet, I can easily level the rack and experiment with different spikes/footers from manufacturers like Eden Sound or Mapleshade.

Rpeluso,

"Men are so stupid, and predictable. Why?"

For the same reason some women can be overly sensitive and unpredictable.... we're different.