Any Herron VTPH-2 Phono Stage Owners out there?

Has anyone recently purchased a VTPH-2? Any thoughts compared to other phono stages costing around the same price of $3,600? That still is a lot of money and a lot of good competition out there. I was also looking at a couple of the Sutherland units (the DUO and the 20/20).

Another concern is that I have a Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP Integrated Amp and was wondering how another tube phono stage would sound with the tube phono stage? Is it better to Mix solid state phono stage with a Tube Amp or keep it all the same (all tubes or all solid state?). My turntable is a VPI Prime with Ortofon Quintet black cartridge. Thanks!
djfst
BNpd24 - I'm very interested in a Decca cart. How does it sound, especially with the modified VTPH-1?
Most of the difference between the VTPH-1 and VTPH-2 is in the mc section, which was one reason I didn't want to spend so much more for the 2. I have no doubt the 2 is worth the extra $ for mc use, but I don't need the extra gain of the 2---in fact, quite the opposite. Decca/Londons put out 5mV at 1000Hz! ALL phono amps sacrifice their overhead characteristics to get the higher gain needed by low-output mc cartridges. The Decca/London is not for everyone, any more than electrostatic loudspeakers are. But they have a characteristic NO other cartridge has, no matter the cost; the immediacy and dynamics of a Decca/London cartridge are unmatched by any other. A D/L cartridge compared to any other is just like the difference between a direct-to-disc LP and any LP made from a tape recording---the difference is that dramatic. A lot of people had a Decca in the 60's and early 70's, but many eventually tired of it's shortcomings, and with the improvements in moving coil designs and head amps in the mid-70's, gladly gave up the immediacy to get better tracking, less microphonics, etc. But John Wright at Decca didn't stop working on it's design either, and with the Super Gold remedied many of the older Decca's failings. Then the Deccapod cured the weak mounting system, as did the Jubilee model. Now the Reference brings the D/L into the 21st Century, and solves all of it's problems. But they're still not for everyone! I got a call from Harvey Rosenburg in the mid-80's, and he passed on to me a small amount of his vast Decca knowledge and wisdom. The resistance and capacitance loading of the Decca provides electrical damping to the cartridge (Harvey recommended starting with 1000pF of capacitance!), and mechanical damping does the rest. A Decca was used in the development of the Cransfield turntable, manufactured by Max Townshend as the "Rock". I can't imagine having a D/L and not a Townshend Rock TT, but people do. Yeah, it's a little more work to play an LP on a Rock than a normal table, but to me it's worth it!
I currently have the VTPH-2 and like it very much I use NOS Telefunkens in it. I compared it to an ARC reference phono stage at the time and felt the Herron was very competitive with the ARC.

Chuck
Chuck, Do you prefer the VTPH2 to your solid state phono stage, the one we've both heard?

BPoletti, I do not in any way begrudge you your love of the Herron phono stage. Was just pointing out to the OP that you are obviously the most knowledgeable person on the subject of all things Herron. I'd love to compare the Herron VTPH2 to either my own highly tweaked Silvaweld SWH550 or to a K&K Maxxed Out.

Bdp24, In the good old days of Harvey et al, I owned a Decca SC4E and then a Decca London. I did like the London a lot, but I cannot recall what I thought of the SC4E back then. A few years ago, I resurrected the SC4E and gave it a listen; the results were to say the least not favorable. I am still open-minded on Decca, because of my fond memories of their wide open sound and midrange clarity. Can you say more about Harvey's recommendations for loading, besides adding 1000pF? Did he use 47K or some other resistance? I also feared that the older high mass designs like the SC4E could do damage to LPs. Maybe heavy viscous damping, as with the Townsend, ameliorates that issue.
Bpoletti, could you please say what other phono stages you've heard & compared the Herron to? Sorry to trouble you with this, but I've searched your various messages on this topic and haven't found comparisons. Maybe I missed them, but would be very grateful for a quick reply on this. Thank you.