Sakura Systems OTA Cable Kit

Has anyone tried this "minimalist" cable kit? After receiving a recommendation from someone with similar musical values to myself, and whose ears I trust, I could not resist ordering one. I will report on how they sound in a few weeks, but am interested in others' opinions too.

For those that have not heard about them look at www.sakurasystems.com for an interesting read. The cable sounds as if it is very close to the specification of the conductors in Belden Cat5. So I may have spent around 100 times what the kit is worth. We shall see.

If you have not heard this cable, please don't bother posting your opinions of how it MUST sound here. Nor am I that interested in hearing how stupid I must be to order this kit - it's my money and you are free to make different decisions with yours. Sorry for this condition, but I am bored with those that have nothing positive to offer on this site, and post their opinions based on deductive logic rather than actual experience.
redkiwi
Does the 47 Labs, Gaincard amp really HAVE to be used with their own OTA wire or similarly thin wire? A 47 Labs dealer once told me that the need for small gauge cabling is over stated in reviews and such.

I tried a fully broken in (according to dealer) Gaincard S (50 watt version) with double power supplies for three days using the Coincident, Super Eclipse speakers. It sounded OK with no pre-amp in between it and my DAC. Other than that, I felt I would need much more time and perhaps different cables to really get a handle on its capabilities. It did have the deepest sound-stage I have heard from any solid state amp. Not the most important thing, but worth mentioning.

Nice to see that the forums are back.

Has anyone tried this cable from a pickup arm to phono stage ? I'm tempted to internally rewire my Ittok, but I thought I would test the water first.

Thanks.
Hi,

4708 OTA is too thick and too inflexible for internal tonearm rewire. Eh, I wish it could run from cart to phono preamp... :-)

My suggestion would be either to get a single run of a good tonearm wire and have it run all the way to phono preamp from the cart or to use the tonearm wire through armtube and to have OTA take the rest of the way from the arm to the preamp. If so, particularly if using LP12, make sure to have the wires together with some plastic string as it will make the P-clip dressing much more comfortable experience.

Best,
Sead
No, Gaincard doesn't have to be used with 4708 OTA Cable kit. I think this became obvious for everyone glancing through numerous reviews where reviewers wouldn't use it even if strongly suggested as a far better solution from what they've been using.

What you have to take care about when using other cables is:
- you can't have bannana speaker connectors connected to gaincard's output terminals. Spades are ok, although some of those monster spades tend to ask for a wider head screw as replacement for the stock ones.
- female RCA connectors on all of 47Labs gear are gentle. As with other gentle things in life, you don't treat them with a brute force. overtightening of the macho-type male connectors may damage chasis RCA connectors. btw, they are made that way on purpose.
- very thick and heavy cables can affect mechanical properties of the Gaincard (and they are important for the sound!)

I can see no reason for having S version connected with Coincident speakers. What I would do, if I were you is to go back and have a listen of:

a) 25w Gaincard and two 25w Power Humpty
b) 25w Gaincard and ONE 50w Power Humpty

You may end up with a better result and some money left in your pocket.

As a starting point, my advice would be to stick to 4708 OTA Kit and only after growing up with Gaincard for a while to investigate other cable options. Or, alternatively, just keep the cables you have (unless they are really completely incompatible ones) and look for new cables after a few months. By no mean it is carved in stone that everyone must use 47Labs cables. Some of us just like them.

Best regards,
Sead
I think you should try the OTA speaker cables with the Gaincard. Very soon they will tell you the truth: every, I mean EVERY other speaker cable manipulates with music.
Than, you could try the OTA cables as IC's....