The Lawyers Have Taken Over Audio

Great article in the wall street journal today.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323320404578213691784333734.html?KEYWORDS=gideon+schwartz

Strange, Gideon mentions that he has a $500,000 ceiling on a system. I will appreciate that when I visit him. I now know how much cash to bring.
buconero117
its intuitive that price and sound quality are not necessarily highly correlated.

this means that you can attain very good sound for under $20,000.

i provided the framework in an earlier post.

all this chatter about megabuck systems is moot. you will never get a definitive conclusion to this philosophical argument.

who cares what the sentiment is regarding a $50,000 speaker system ?
One mustn't confuse humor with bashing with some of these posts. I can appreciate someone with the disposable income needed to acquire something they're not involved with on a level necessary to enjoy it.

Paying a large amount to offset the cost of, say, R&D, is not the same as paying through the nose for something already established. This is not to say that some expensive devices out there aren't justified as new, cutting edge technology needs a return for the effort and outlay.

If I had the wealth, there would be a bright line as to how much I'd spend on a classically made watch, a Porsche, a home. Anything more would be ostentatious, conspicuous. I don't begrudge them their wealth and maybe the seller was misquoted which would imply conspicuous consumption.

Some of these folk are paying for the gild, not the build.

All the best,
Nonoise
I read the WSJ article. I laughed. The, A fool and his money, thingy came to mind.
Cheers
Rok2id, I agree with you, if the article had not featured someone I know to be the antithesis of those traits, I would have just chuckled and moved along. Fortunately, I know Gideon has immense character and his ethics are beyond reproach.