The Lawyers Have Taken Over Audio

Great article in the wall street journal today.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323320404578213691784333734.html?KEYWORDS=gideon+schwartz

Strange, Gideon mentions that he has a $500,000 ceiling on a system. I will appreciate that when I visit him. I now know how much cash to bring.
buconero117
One mustn't confuse humor with bashing with some of these posts. I can appreciate someone with the disposable income needed to acquire something they're not involved with on a level necessary to enjoy it.

Paying a large amount to offset the cost of, say, R&D, is not the same as paying through the nose for something already established. This is not to say that some expensive devices out there aren't justified as new, cutting edge technology needs a return for the effort and outlay.

If I had the wealth, there would be a bright line as to how much I'd spend on a classically made watch, a Porsche, a home. Anything more would be ostentatious, conspicuous. I don't begrudge them their wealth and maybe the seller was misquoted which would imply conspicuous consumption.

Some of these folk are paying for the gild, not the build.

All the best,
Nonoise
I read the WSJ article. I laughed. The, A fool and his money, thingy came to mind.
Cheers
Rok2id, I agree with you, if the article had not featured someone I know to be the antithesis of those traits, I would have just chuckled and moved along. Fortunately, I know Gideon has immense character and his ethics are beyond reproach.
Ghasley,
Then I stand corrected. To be perfectly honest, I laughed at the ideal of paying real money for a FRENCH made component. Also, if the rich can't splurge, what's the point of being rich? And we, the USA, have the best rich in the world. Many are generous to a fault. I do not in any way begrudge them their wealth. They pay the tab that make many technical advancements possible. They also support the Arts. Although, I must admit, I have not noticed any 'trickle down' in high-end audio lately.
Cheers
I'm a big Gideon fan, customer and supporter. All on this site within their own financial means and circumstance looks to raise the level of this art while we are surrounded by "muggles" who believe a Bose table top radio is state of the art or at least good enough. I believe the reporter has most likely misquoted and taken out of context some of the statements being swatted around on this forum. The WSJ is a financial newspaper and a high end audio store is a business. The passion for what these product deliver to those of us in the know and who considerate good audio important is not really reported on in this article. But the reality of running this type of business is that you should cater to a range of tastes and financial abilities to stay viable. We can all see Gidion also offers the affordable brands and products he likes for the person looking for something better than the run of the mill. Give him his due for supporting our love with his investment in a facility where we actually hear something with personal assistance added.