If cables can break-in, can they then wear-out?

The phenomenon of cable break-in (is it really dielectric break-in?) must be physical to the cable/dielectric/insulator/termination, therefore will extended use wear out the cable?
I do not mean metal wear from plugging in and removing, either. I am assuming permanent installation.

In my opinion it's as much our ears getting acquainted as it is break-in.
mcintech
Thank you Dan, thank you very much. I really needed that.
Will

p.s. I bought Cardas.
Danmyers,

count me in as a Beta tester. Please find my credit card details attached.

You mention the various types of metals you have had tested, but I would love to know your thoughts on Iron/iron hybrid cables.

Do you have an elixir for wifi connections too?
Iron interconnects, treated with unobtainium, become so transparent they can also be used as optical digital cables. The never wear out, or oxidize, once treated. Their only weakness is a propensity to attract spurious trepidary bipeds(from threads such as these). =;^)
The fix is to install VHF transponders as the RCA/XLR connections... on all conponents... then cables, aside from power cables, will no longer be necessary... eg., wireless headphones.

Eventually, when the send/receive units are evolved sufficiently for audiophiliac purposes, even the air itself won't be an issue.... better yet use ULTRA high freq as range won't be an issue.

Now I'm wondering why this or direct sight lasers/optics aren't the deal instead of wires for signal transmission??

Especially with Same Same conponent brands at least as an option.
OK!! I have had more than one speaker cable 'go bad'.
Monster (long ago in a galaxy far away) tarnish so bad they became a throw-away. AudioQuest Midnight cables the dielectric covering on the wires failed after 15 years or so. Stick with a teflon coated wire!!!!
I still use some home made Levinson wire cables I made nearly 25 years ago.
The culprit is the dielectric coating on the metal. Good coating equals: last for a really, really long time. Poor coating or one that will degrade equals: bad.