Best single-malt Scotch...

I have to give credit to Redwiki for the inspiration to start this thread. Yes, certain malts better compliment certain music or certain moods. Of the fifteen or so different malts in my cabinet right now, my favorites are: Aberlour "Antique", similar to the popular Macallan, but not as syrupy; a bit drier, light hearted and less complicated; great with Mozart and Brubeck. Mortlach "Limited Edition" cask strength. Powerful, smoky, mysterious. Great with Bartok, Berg and late 'Trane. Loch Morar 25 yr old. Incredibly complex and intense, with a hint of honey and flowers. Great with Poulenc, Stravinsky and Bill Evans. Any other single-malt aficionados out there?
frogman
You are so right, the Macallan's have priced themselves out of the market for me, I remember when the 25 was $99 and was available in the grocery store! Now it's hidden behind the counter in the LLS!
Hi Baka1969,

Over here, a bottle of Macallan 18-yr is 80 and 30-yr is 300. The 25-yr is 200...and i think the 18-yr is nearly as good. Whereas the 30-year is stunning.
@loydelee21 I'm not sure where you are and based on some of the research I've done the price of the Macallan 30 has risen here in the US from about $375 a bottle in 2007 to over $900 (closer to $1000) today. That's pretty steep. At those prices the Macallan 18 may represent the best overall value? Sort of like the diminishing returns in audio equipment? lol
The Glendronach 15YO Revival is a very nice dram at about $75-80.

I don't understand the astronomical price rise of Macallan.
Yes, the 18YO is a lovely dram but $160-180? There are plenty of respectable 18YOs in the $100 range.

Try a 18YO Talisker!
Rja,

If you can find it try the 25 y/o Talisker....

I still have a few ounces of that one left and it is insanely good! I used to drink Macallan but the prices have gone out of control. I used to get the 25 y/o for $99 and you could buy it in the grocery store, now that bottle is over $750 and in my mind not worth that, I'll stick with Balvenie 21 Port for less than $200 (actually my LLS still has some at %150!)