How does one get off the merry-go-round?

I'm interested in hearing from or about music lovers who have dropped out of the audio "hobby." I don't mean you were content with your system for 6 weeks. I mean, you stood pat for a long time, or--even better--you downsized...maybe got rid of your separates and got an integrated.

(I suppose if you did this, you probably aren't reading these forums any more.)

If this sounds like a cry for help, well, I dunno. Not really. I'm just curious. My thoughts have been running to things like integrated amps and small equipment racks and whatnot even as I continue to experiment and upgrade with vigor (I'm taking the room correction plunge, for example.) Just want to hear what people have to say on the subject.

---dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
Perhaps for some it is the journey and sea of constant change that keeps them trapped on the Merry-go-round.

Careful perusal of this thread and A'gon site in general shows that many audiophiles claim to have gotten off the merry-go-round (found that ideal component, system, the BEST!). Great eulogies abound to this, that, and other prized components... that the great search is ended!

Recorded for posterity, these threads are like trunkless legs of stone, a shattered visage, in a desert where nothing beside remains: a testament to long dead, fleeting passions.
Near field listening !
I am listening to a modest system now near field, and enjoying it quite a bit.

1) Sony es CD player ($800)
2) Marantz 2285 receiver (from many decades a go)
3) Mission speakers ($300)
4) Wires - $160
5) Oneac power conditioner ($170)

When I go near, I gain so much in audio pleasure - makes me wonder why more people are not into it. I get my favorite cup of tea, and a book, and my music playing practically in my ears, and I am in heaven.
When I was four years old I walked over to my girlfriend's house and her mother informed me that she was not at home. I said "fine, i just came over to listen to her record player!" (And people say audiophiles have their priorities wrong!)
The first "high end" system of memory was Altec A7's driven by a Dynaco st-70 with an Ampex 15 ips deck. This system would still make me happy if I had a very large room.
I enjoy and appreciate the variety of equipment and recordings, but in hindsight I know I wasted a lot of time and money trying to get the latest approach which rarely represented real progress. My progress list for BETTER SOUND alone over the last forty years is short.
1. turntables (credit to Linn)
2. digital room correction
3. subwoofers (slow evolution just recently good enough to be high end)

My system includes these improvements, but many of its components are old enough to vote.
I think owning excellent tube gear is one of the secrets to

staying off the upgrade path.

Maybe I should post a poll and see how often

tube people vs. SS people change gear.

I had my previous tube amp for like 17 years (though I

did try a solid state amp for a while) and my new

tube amps are the same brand (just updated version) and

I'll probably be keeping these just as long.

There's just very little to upgrade to. Being OTL's however I just have to make sure any potential speaker purchases will match impedance wise.
Come on, you know its a disease. Just roll with it and die with dignity like the rest of us.