I give up on HT

After auditioning several home theater preamp processors and not getting the two channel sound i expected. I took the advice of previous threads and purchased a line stage preamp, I got a conrad johnson model pf-r and life is great. This website has loads of good info if you dare to wade in. Now all i have to do is figure out how to hook up my home theater receiver into the loop.

bigwavedave
What you can do is run the main two front speaker directly from the PFR preamp through the amp, to preserve the high end sound you desire; and run the other channels through the HT decoder for movies. This will mean using a separate amp to power the surround speakers. Get the best of both worlds. The fronts will have more information than normal because they are two channel, but its better than nothing.
As one such person, who has but one room; I 'hear' all the concerns.I have a stand-alone processor.It has rcas out for all channels. From fronts out,I take a pair of ics;plug them into the aux of my pre. I get true "fronts" information in HT.I switch back to cd input for 2 ch. listening. Then I throw a blanket over the tv for 2 ch listening. No processor/pre is as good as a quality 2 ch.pre amp. This method gives me the best under such circumstances.
Here we Go! A new idea! I am experimenting with having my 2 channel system at one end of listening room & the the TV-HT at the other. Use What ever componets fit for HT, & let my 2 Channel system rule the room, Then I can just move my listing/watching chair to suit which ever system I want to use. This I feel is by far the best solution to a complex problem. Use all your old stuff for HT, speakers, cables, etc.

Let me hear what you guys think?
Audio4Fun
Yo Avguy, I considered that before I moved the tv and 6.1 receiver, etc to the long wall, but apart from imaging, I was concerned about all that amplification and processing going on in the same neighborhood as my tube pre-amp. Not to mention dressing all those damn wires. I was in a high end showroom and auditioned 2 very good systems that were on adjacent, not opposite walls and was impressed with the sound and imaging of the set-up. That's what gave me the idea.
In my earlier comment, I forgot to mention that I cover my TV with a mattress pad when listening to two channel. Another thing that ruins the image is a coffee table. I can't do without mine as I'd have no place to put all those remotes but I also cover this when listening. Try removing your coffee table some time. You'll be amazed. Don