I give up on HT

After auditioning several home theater preamp processors and not getting the two channel sound i expected. I took the advice of previous threads and purchased a line stage preamp, I got a conrad johnson model pf-r and life is great. This website has loads of good info if you dare to wade in. Now all i have to do is figure out how to hook up my home theater receiver into the loop.

bigwavedave
As one such person, who has but one room; I 'hear' all the concerns.I have a stand-alone processor.It has rcas out for all channels. From fronts out,I take a pair of ics;plug them into the aux of my pre. I get true "fronts" information in HT.I switch back to cd input for 2 ch. listening. Then I throw a blanket over the tv for 2 ch listening. No processor/pre is as good as a quality 2 ch.pre amp. This method gives me the best under such circumstances.
Here we Go! A new idea! I am experimenting with having my 2 channel system at one end of listening room & the the TV-HT at the other. Use What ever componets fit for HT, & let my 2 Channel system rule the room, Then I can just move my listing/watching chair to suit which ever system I want to use. This I feel is by far the best solution to a complex problem. Use all your old stuff for HT, speakers, cables, etc.

Let me hear what you guys think?
Audio4Fun
Yo Avguy, I considered that before I moved the tv and 6.1 receiver, etc to the long wall, but apart from imaging, I was concerned about all that amplification and processing going on in the same neighborhood as my tube pre-amp. Not to mention dressing all those damn wires. I was in a high end showroom and auditioned 2 very good systems that were on adjacent, not opposite walls and was impressed with the sound and imaging of the set-up. That's what gave me the idea.
In my earlier comment, I forgot to mention that I cover my TV with a mattress pad when listening to two channel. Another thing that ruins the image is a coffee table. I can't do without mine as I'd have no place to put all those remotes but I also cover this when listening. Try removing your coffee table some time. You'll be amazed. Don
I use a two channel preamp with a processor bypass loop. I use a ht receiver which powers the center and rear channels, and send receivers main pre-outs to the bypass ins on the preamp. Many pre-amps including Sonic frontiers, Audio Research, VTL, and Vac have this feature.