What needs to go?

I am happy with the sound of my system for home theater use but not in two channel. I do not have the room to have two separate systems so I am looking for the best two/five channel combination. Time spent is 50% music and 50% HT. My room is 17' X 13' with the speakers and TV on the short wall. Here is my system:

Sunfire Signature Grand Amplifier
B&K Ref 30 Processor
Sonus Faber Grand Piano Homes,Solo with dipole rears.
Highly modified Pioneer Dv 444 DVD player
Velodyne Sub
MAS cables throughout

My main complaint in two channel is that the sounds is fatiguing.I have moved the GP Homes around and the sound has improved a little but still do not sound as good as my previous Audio Physic Virgo II"s with a Clayton amp. Very few room treatments (foam on wall behind speakers. Oriental rug is in front of the speakers on the floor. Room is open on two sides (behind seating area and right side of room). Sliding glass doors are on the left of the room. I have set up the speakers using the CARA method.

What component or components need to go? Should I add a seperate pre for two channel listening or upgrade the B&K?

Any and all help will be appreciated.
hiflyer
You could test the CD player directly into the amp. Play something very soft that builds up slowly - like your best CD of "Bolero" - and get ready with the stop button. At least you will get an idea of what the preamp is doing, plus you are omitting one set of interconnects. My thoughts are you'll find pretty much the same sound - and you'll realise that the source is the weak point.

Regards,
It's your pre-amp. None of the pre/pros can beat a good two channel analog pre. It's almost impossible to keep all of the digital noise out of the signal when everything is in one box. Your speakers, sub and amp are certainly up to the task of reproducing great sound so you can be certain they are not the problem. Why don't you check www.audioclassics.com and see if they have any used stuff that you like? They have a 11 day trial period so you can try some stuff and return it if you don't like it. I'm certain that a good analog pre will solve your problem.
Seems like you need to give special attention to your source as most people have suggested. Although all components are equally important, the primary data of the music which comes from CD's are extracted from the source and hence no good player no go although most of your other equipment are quite impressive in their own accounts. From that point only then you start to realize your weak components one by one.
Hiflyer, bulldogger may be correct on two counts: 1. It may very well be your preamp. And 2. that a good analog pre will solve your problem.

I think I understand where bulldog is coming from, but it would appear that he is not correct when he states "None of the pre/pros can beat a good 2-channel analog pre."

For the record, the Primare P30 pre/pro I mentioned previously provides 100% TRUE analog when in 2-channel by-pass mode. And just so there is no confusion toward the sonic capabilities of this pre/pro, I've also owned or own a Pass Labs X2.5, X-1, Placette Active Linestage, and Chapter Audio Preface preamps. As well as demo'ed in my home an Ayre K3-x, a Conrad Johnson Premier 14, and an Electrocompaniet preamp.

Except for the CJ and Electrocompaniet, all the other pre-amps are more expensive and are all Class A rated 2-channel analog pre's.

Speaking from experience, I can assure you that you'd be hard pressed to find a better pre-amp or pre-pro than the Primare P30 or their later model anywhere near it's price range.

-IMO
Bulldogger I beg to differ . Both Classe and Theta to name two offer two in one isolated analog and digital combined pre amps that will wet your panties. They can provide audiophile analog and at the flip of a switch top quality full blown digital home theater. The isolation between the two within one unit is quite remarkable engineering. And although it is possible, it is never the less chaotic to combine two preamps , into one amplification base, especially if you want to maintain total balance.