Is this why my analog rig isn't so hot?

Hi All,

My system is quite decent, but...

Could it be the voltage output of my Benz Glider is too high?

My photo stage - a 47 Lab PhonoCube - could handle low outputs down to 0.12 mV. Since my Glider has a medium output (0.83 mV) - is this why I'm not that happy with my system? I seem to want to hear more, specially the top.

If I got the same Glider but with a lower output, would it make a difference? Or should I get a better cartridge? And which one?

My system:

Basis 2000 table
RS-A1 Lab arm
Benz Glider (0.83 mV)
47 Lab PhonoCube phono stage
47 Lab Chooser passive preamp
47 Lab Gaincard amp
Konus Audio Essence speakers

Thanks!
George
ngeorge
Hi George,

Understood.
The Linn is most certainly a possibility as is an original pre- hyperspace plattered Nott Spacedeck. If you'd prefer a new table,maybe check out a Michell Gyro SE if you can. Surprisingly, the little VPI Scout ain't bad either if you can foot the SDS psu.Both the Michell and VPI can be purchased in a modest configuration and incrementally brought up to spec, the Michell attaining a slightly higher level than the Scoutmaster.
If you've more cash to squander, look into the Avid Volvere(not the Acutus), Michell Gyro SE with Orbe platter(rather than full Orbe, DPS(Willy Bauer's Der Platenspeiler) or a Roksan Xerxes X.Arm choices would vary with the deck and/or cartridge.
As a general rule(such as "rules" go),if you want something nimble, stay away from overtly massive platters and acrylic based decks. The problem with the Basis comes from the latter. All that plastic resin has a very specific damping property that sucks the life and air out of the music.Don't even think about a Clearaudio or Teres.

best,
k
Dan_ed

>>Careful, don't commit to a real position on anything too specific.<<

2nd time that you're accusing me and not reading my comments properly, its here again if you can read. What can be more specific than this?

>>The 2000 series is highly colored, has a dark over all character with rolled off highs, very limited bass, if any at all, and anemic mids.... you can add upper bass hump to the suspended model<<

You might not like what I have to say but don't accuse of me of not taking a position and being vague. I don't see why you're trying so hard to make things personal instead of posting a relevant response to the problem.

Mama
Hi George,
Wow? Hardly. ; )
As always, take any recomendation with a grain of salt. fyi- my range of recs reflect a somewhat less PRaT-oriented bias than I would personally choose for myself but more than those of the vast majority posting on this board.My thinking is that your requirements fall somewhere comfortably (and sanely) between round and flat-earths, favoring a direct,lucid,lively presence, with tonal purity, ease and authority- middle earth if you will.The decks mentioned still vary considerably in their presentations of music however.caveat emptor right attcha,dude. hehe

best,
k
George,
Also toss in the upper end Well Tempered decks to the mix.Often available used at reasonable prices.

best,
k