CAL ICON MKII CD player replacement

Hello all,
I have an older cal icon mk ii CD player in need of replacement. While I really do enjoy its sound, I opened it up the other day and it looks like some of the caps are about to go. I fear it's days are numbered and I will be in search of a new CD player shortly. I am capable of the necessary repairs if I can find the parts as I have an electrical engineering background. Due to its age however, I am wondering if anyone knows of a current model player with a similar sound. As I've stated in previous threads, I live in a very rural area and the nearest audio shop is over 4 hours away. I know the best way to pick one to to go audition some, but I would like to build a list of candidates before I make the 4+ hour trip and come home empty handed.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am more of a vinyl listener, so cd is my secondary source. Looking to keep the price around $500.00. If anyone has another icon mk ii or cl-15 you are looking to unload, please let me know. I really love the CAL sound. It just seems to work great in my system.
Thanks in advance,
The skipper
skipper320
Thanks mapman,
I am slightly concerned about the age of the rotel. The seller says it was built in 2001. Are the internals (dacs, etc) way outdated compared to a new marantz or nad, or does the rotel rcd991 still blow them away since it was the flagship player at the time.
Thank you
Age can be a performance inhibiting factor in any device, including CDs.

Personally all other things aside, with CD players and digital in general, I would tend to go with more recent products (3-5 years old max) that many have been proven to enjoy. DIgital technology continues to evolve and improve, so there is a dividend there in general when you buy something newer rather than older.

The older device may still be in good condition and fine as well, but I would expect a large discount due to age and wear and tear accordingly and only buy if of particular interest for some reason. Sound quality would only be a good reason for me if say perhaps I had actually heard a particular older device years ago and still judge the sound quality to be a good value compared to other more recent competition. Retail prices alone are not a reliable indicator.

In general, I keep my digital devices that I like around as long as I can, often until they give it up in some way, or I see and hear something better that forces me to pull the trigger. The longer you wait to buy new with anything digital, the better off you will be again because the technology continues to improve at a rapid pace overall and older devices can become outdated quickly. That's not to say though that ones you already own and like are not good, just that things inevitably always move on sooner or later, especially with digital technology, where it is often sooner rather than later compared to many things.
My RCD-971 was the model below the 991. The RCD-971 is one heck of a great sounding CDP. I'll bet the 991 is even better. Either one will sound way better than the Marantz IMO. Just make sure all is working properly w/the unit you are considering. The 991 uses a Sony KSS-213 transport. The 990 used the Philips CDM-9Pro transport which I've heard is no longer made and parts are very hard to find. You should be fine w/the 991. Talking about age, my first CDP from the early 80's is still working perfectly after a belt change.