New Analog system. where to start?

I have never had that much interest in a tube/analog system but it seem as though after reading all the raves about the sound I want to take the plunge. I am going to use a CJ MV-60 for my power and I haven't decided on a turntable or pre yet. I am a complete novice in this area so any help from you tube or vinyl guru's would be GREATLY appreciated. I have a pair of Maggie 3.6's that I would like to use as my speakers but I am open to suggestions for other, more suitable speakers. I'd like to keep the turntable set-up around $1000 for now and the pre amp priced accordingly with the rest of the gear mentioned. Thanks guys.
kgb540
I dont know why, but my last response seems to have been lost..... I give up anyway.

Kgb540: One more thing. Believe it or not, an Adcom GFP-565 has a very nice phono section in it and can be had for about 200.00 almost anywhere.
I would suggest a listen.
Also, there are some nice Audible Illusions Pre's out there for a decent price, but watch the age. The tubes a soldered to the board and needed to be factory replaced when last I checked.
I would be interested in hearing an update of anything you have listened to/bought and the results. :>)
FINALLY!!!! Psychic, you've finally expressed yourself in a mostly positive, thoughtful manner in your post to Seantaylor above. An insightful, informative post on your opinion/experience. Thank you!

I am glad that you found something that suits your criteria/taste/experience/budget, although you surely must realize that others' criteria/taste/experience/budget are most likely different than yours which results in their making different choices. What's right for you may not be right for everyone else (especially on this forum) and visa-versa.

With a very much minority opinion, you are going to have to continue to do a better job of answering questions, educating, explaining, staying on-topic and generally make it less difficult to understand what you are saying if you want people to hear and understand you. Your points are not being made or even heard when you constantly trash threads with mostly embarrassingly un-objective opinions, erroneous facts and way-out kooky stuff.

Regards
Jim
Gumby- I have had a couple of Audible Illusions M3A pre-amps (an early version made in 95 w/standard phono section and a '99 w/"Gold" board) and neither had the tubes soldered in. Maybe some of the older M3's (not "A" versions) or the older L1's had soldered tubes- I don't know about those.

Anyway, the "gold" phono section is a substantial improvement over the standard phono section, but is only for low-output cartridges while the standard phono section handles cartridges w/ outputs >.9 mV. Both type phono sections are tubed.

The great thing about either is that you get a world class pre-amp along with a great (gold) phono section or very good (standard) phono section. And it is equally at home with most SS or tube amps. Excellent value.

Regards
Jim
"FINALLY!!!! Psychic, you've finally expressed yourself in a mostly positive, thoughtful manner in your post to Seantaylor above. "

Are you mad? All he did was go in to his self-congradulatory dribble again. Why are you 'listening' to him now? Has the credibility, in your eyes, stood up well? His retarded antics are funny if not sad. But definately old and confusing to some. I would urge the poor guy who started this thread to ignore it in its entirety. More intelligent answers can come from a magic eight-ball.
Ohlala- His post was mostly positive, he refered to how he found his set-up to sound to him and he didn't make any un-informed comment about another turntable or person. This is a first.

Do I agree with what he said? No. But I obviously listen differently than he does. The table he has does have a very minor following and it's not unreasonably retailed at $400. If it works for some, bully for them.

Has his credibility stood up? With the exception of his last post, no. But he seemed to have started to turn a page with the last post with and I didn't want to discourage that. At least he wasn't implying that people who don't agree with everything he says are stupid & racist and that everything other than what he has is junk.

Yes, he has severly damaged his credibility and his crusade over the past year but, with the last post, has begun to make his opinions known in a way that might at least gain him a small measure of respect regardless of whether anyone agrees with him.

Regards
Jim