How do you get past the pops and hiss of LPs?

I have recently got out my dad's old Thorens TT (TD 150 MKII) and listened to some of his old classical LP's. I think that it is a warmer sound than CD but I can't get passed all the noise. I asked my Dad and he said it always sounded that way. Am I doing something wrong? Do you just ignore the hiss and pops? Thanks in advance.

-Kevin
kemp
Rocky, you hanv't heard my modified Wollensak 8-track player, so them's fightin' words. Step outside - 8-tracks don't suck, they rule! Peppy, I will stand by my statement that LP has a greater dynamic range than redbook CD. True, it is gained at the quiet end of the spectrum where digital is simply not recording sounds. Likewise, bandwidth into the ultrasonic and phase response will also be better with the analog media than with CD replay.
Rockinroni said, "Your rig is entry level, you will not be able to retrieve the lower 2 or 3 octaves on this turntable." If the lowest octave is 20-40Hz, then the turntable in question can't retrieve info any lower than 80-160Hz. Roni was being kind, if a component can't reproduce anything from the upper bass downward then it's not a true hi-fi component let alone entry level high end. Thanks for clearing things up, Roni.
But then Rockinroni said that a Systemdek with Rega arm at 700$ would outperform a CD and obviously reproduce the notes below 120HZ.

I am glad that we cleared that up!

Bob P.
Viridian, listening into 20db of noise (I guess this is like the cocktail party effect) to hear music is not my idea of gained dynamic range.

Salut, Bob p.
Bob, I would never argue with you about sensitivity to audible noise, this seems to be a personal reaction and is quite subjective. However,you may not like it, but the terms "dynamic range" and "signal to noise ratio" have meanings, though you are free to make up your own definitions and language to suit what pleases you. For the record, dynamic range is defined as "The difference, in decibels (db), between the softest and loudest possible sounds that a component can produce.". Once again, the issue of non-recognition in a digital system below the least signficant bit is side-stepped.
Marty