How do you get past the pops and hiss of LPs?

I have recently got out my dad's old Thorens TT (TD 150 MKII) and listened to some of his old classical LP's. I think that it is a warmer sound than CD but I can't get passed all the noise. I asked my Dad and he said it always sounded that way. Am I doing something wrong? Do you just ignore the hiss and pops? Thanks in advance.

-Kevin
kemp
I will clear this up for you. If you read my posts you will find out I said;

"You do not have to spend a fortune to get good analog sound, that is mostly free of noise (pops & clicks).
A used Systemdeck and a atcoc9 with a Rega arm will sound fantastic ($700 range).
There are many sub 1k rigs that will get you most of the way there." Like the rig you have,inpepin.

Anyway this thread is going in the trash.
So I will sum it up for you losers and say it plain.
lp's rule and have more fidelity even with a pop here and a click there. cd's suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cd's are for lazy clones that are willing to settle for pasteurized music. A Fact some are not willing to explore or admit. The only thing they lose is the music, to bad so sad.

Marty sorry about the 8 Track shot.
Rockinroni:

Boy, you are some piece of work!
So, your signoff is that people who prefer CD's are "losers" and "lazy clones." Why not just say ... 'our mothers are ugly' ... as well? Thanks for elevating the level of the discussion.

Regards, Rich
Viridian, I have a better idea of what you mean by dynamic range and signal to noise ratio, but even accepting that definition does not yield more than about 80db range for vinyl, while CD has at least 100db. And these figures I have measured using LP's and CDs. The direct to disc recordings (organ) has about 80db. BTW its surface noise is at about -70db. Pinned the needles at +10db!

Salut, Bob P.
Rockinroni, can we hope that you are abandoning this thread? If so, that should really clear things up!

salut, Bob P.
Bob, measureing dynamic range at home is fraught with difficulties. One tends to end up measuring signal to noise ratio even when using a scope. An interesting working of the maths can be found at http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/iandm/part12/page2.html , as the author quite rightly points out, the results are the theoretical limits of the media and practical applications will yeild much lower actual dynamic range in both media. He clearly shows that the limit on lp replay is about 110db as opposed to 96db in redbook compact disc replay. Interestingly, this coincides with my subjective evaluations. But don't get me wrong; the compact disc has much to recommend it, both technically and aurally.