Looking To Buy Wide Screen TV

I am in the process of looking to buy a wide screen tv.
What are some things I need to look for in a wide screen?
With all the changes in digital TV I am getting different stories from a few local businesses.
Who has the best prices and service.
All information would help me out tremendously.
lefty0011
I would love to use front projection and get rid of the "box" all together.

However, front projection viewing needs to be in total darkness to achieve best results. Impossible in my home due to huge skylights.

The DLP Sharp that I viewed for 20 minutes or so was perhaps the best big image I've seen. The unit was model XV-Z9000u (HDTV Compatible). Even at an enlargement of ( what appeared ) 10 feet across, the picture was near perfect and very film like.

The only other issue is the bulb. The factory quotes 2000 hours of life, but the salesman who is a long time personal friend, says that is overly optimistic.

At a replacement cost of $300.00 per bulb and considering the viewing habits of my family, this amounts to another $500.00 per year. It might make sense to buy a decent 27" for general viewing and reserve the big projector for special times. Savings would make a high quality 27" free in about a year.

Still I agree with Tireguy, it would be nice, unless you face the obstacles I have.

By the way, I did a search at Sony.com for the 62" rear projection unit. I could only find model KDP-65XBR2 at (MSRP) of $6499.99. Either the price was dropped, or there is a more expensive model that is not featured on the home site.
I'll find out the number and post it tomorrow(my friend is old and has kids so he goes to bed early). Your right albert I forgot about the skylights, I even knew about them from a previous thread.

Well I live in a cave so lighting isn't an issue, though the ladies don't like it much-go figure. I have yet to replace the bulb, I've had it for about a year and it was used when I got it, I priced a bulb and it was $264 which I still thought was too high! I watch about 3-4 movies a week, never kept track of hours though, I am expecting it to go in the spring time. The zoom is nice, my projector allows from 40"-500", but you can play with it and make it really small or HUGE. I love toys!
Tim

I think tireguy meant the 65HD1 which has MSRP of $12K. This is an older model and has only 1 HD input. I recall reading that there were issues with this set.

Anyway if you can afford it, the latest Sony XBR2 comes very close to the Elites.

Lefty,

a. What is your viewing distance
b. What is your budget
c. What will be your viewing preferences(& how much%) on the widescreen (Cable/NTSC, DVD, HD)

Based on above, you can narrow down your choices.

Toshiba HX series seem to offer best value. Any choice you make requires proper calibration to make them look like 3D windows :)

Cheers,
Kishore
Hey, Tim, I hear that memory is the SECOND thing to go.........
and HEY, what is old anyway? be careful, you are in the minority around here, my friend.... :)
To heck with the front projector, I just had an opportunity to spend some time with a Loewe Aconda, if I could go back I would consider getting one of them. Though not near the size of the front projector it was amazing, but then you have to deal with the unit between your speakers(if that is an issue). And I have not forgot about you Albert my friend has been on vacation all week and is coming home tomorrow, so I'll get in touch with him then. Also for the record he is 38 which to me is pretty old to me, heh heh heh ;)