Now I know what they mean by a bright cable.

Have an Integra Research RDC-7 pre amp with balanced outputs. When I first got it I used Better Cables XLR balanced for my front two channels and it sounded great. However I fell in love with a DH Labs Air Matrix ad and swapped them out. Long story short the DH Labs in my system is so bright, the music sounds unnatural and definetly causes listerner fatigue. I swapped back the better cables and the difference is unmistakeable. Perhaps the DH Labs might be good on tube equipment but wow it sounded like nails on a blackboard on mine. What causes a cable to sound so bright? Is is silver vs copper?
darrylhifi
I had the exact same reaction with the Maple Shade Golden Double Helix Plus speaker cables. After burn-in, they were just too bright for my ribbon tweeters. But, I did like the way they tightened up the bass. So, I simply hooked them up to the L.F. and returned my old copper cable to the H.F. Sounds pretty good now.
Viggen, why do you think that "it can't be the cable" ? He mentions no other simultaneous changes being made.

Darryl stated that this problem only occurs when this cable is in the system. As such, it might not be the cable itself, but is the reaction that the devices loading into it and receiving the signal have to it being placed within the system. Nothing unusual about that in my experience. Put those cables into another system and you might get opposite results.

I've had people send me cables for burning. They complained that they were soooo bright in their system that it made their ears bleed. In one specific situation,i hooked them into one of my systems before burning. Personally, i found them quite dull and veiled in that system. Obviously, this makes it pretty hard to compare notes.

Having gone through this in similar situations and when mixing / matching components, i worry more about system synergy than anything else. Trying to do the "this cable goes here, that goes there" routine or "Brand X is best, Brand Y works okay and Brand Z is horrible" has taught me a few things. Sometimes the results just aren't what you expect, regardless of brand or price. That's why i typically try cables in several different systems before i pass judgment. It gives me a better idea of what to expect overall. Sean
>
Hi Sean,

You're probably right regarding the impedance matching of cables and components.

However, this seems to be a simple case of the user having to get used to a more revealing audio cable. The DH is, to me, more revealing than Bettercable, and it is, perhaps, revealing the weaknesses in his system. The brightness is, perhaps, inherent in his system, which he is masking by using the lesser quality cable, or, should I euphemistically say, the warmer cable.

Furthermore, it doesn't seem that Daryl has plugged in the DH lab cable for more than a few minutes. Unless he bought it used, the cable doesn't seem to be burned in. However, even used cables needs to be burned in for at least a few hrs in my experience. But, he didn't state any information on this issue, so it's all assumptions.

For these reasons, I doubt the cable is the culprit.
IT PROBABLY HAD 500 HOURS ON IT. AT LEAST. AND I COULD TELL THE DIFFERENCE BLINDFOLDED. AS FAR AS MY INTEGRA RESEARCH RDC-7 , ITS THE BEST TWO CHANNEL SOUND I HAVE EVER HEARD.
In what sense did you fall in love with these cables if they sounded so horrible in your system?