Too snobbish for SACD as it exists?

Perhaps I am wrong, but I get the feeling that the reason SACD players have not been as successful as hoped lies with the fact that the very persons for whom the benefits of the higher resolution format are appreciable are hesitant to put a Sony, Marantz or Pioneer product in their systems. A product like Krell, CJ, Levinson, etc.,while usually significantly more expensive than the aforementioned "mid-fi" brands provide the purchaser with a certain cache and a greater level of satisfaction, albeit sometimes a psychoacoustic contribution to the listening experience. I, personally, would be more willing to spend more on a quality SACD player from a true high-end company, however elitist that may sound, even knowing that I may be paying for diminished returns. I just wonder if there is a large pool of high-end consumers waiting to see what marquis companies will introduce before they commit to the format.
jmslaw
I have used the Sony XA7ES and CA9ES CD players in a fairly high end system, and can say that the XA7 is an especially good product-- built like a tank and excellent music quality. I would have no problem setting a good Sony SACD player next to, eg Levinson gear. To me the issue has always been the number of titles available. But then it's the old question "which comes first.........". Cheers. Craig.
Sean; we were posting at the same time. As you can see, I agree with your position. Craig
yeah, that happens to me all the time Craig. I'll be working on one of my "novels" and by the time i'm done and posted it, someone has said the same thing in a much simpler and elegant manner : ( Sean
Greetings to all here.I am considering a switch to the Sony DVP-9000ES this month. I know of the compromises involved with the Genesis chip having a red chroma problem, but felt that it is probably as good, or better than any other mass manufacturer's DVD player, and that having SACD might be fun. Mostly, I have been impressed with the redbook CD playback when auditioning the 9000ES, and figure that all things considered it is a good piece until 5 channel SACD takes off. That said, I agree up to a point with Jmslaw. I also have had many years of experience with Sony CD players, and their sound usually made me cringe, but I try to evaluate each piece on its' own merit. Sometimes a company really hits a home run with a particular product when you least expect them to. Perhaps I should start a new thread regarding the strange situation of a company as large as Sony producing so many models with SACD playback and having so few titles available. Something is wrong with this , but I am not sure what.
I agree more high end players will help legitimize the format. Classe has been diplaying a prototype that is almost ready for production. The Accuphase unit is very high end. I belive SACD is successful. The software is coming.